Bought a winter hack today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
I was going to spend a bit more on a run around but am saving up for a new bike and have a service due on the E55 in just under 2000 miles so thought I would save a bit and got this:

IMG-20111215-00060.jpg

IMG-20111215-00059.jpg

Not the prettiest or most modern thing I could have gone for and those red floor mats are definatly going to have to go!!, but overall I've been impressed so far, it drives well-doesn't run hot, clutch is fine,smooth enough gear changes, brakes are ok too, plus it has a few months tax and MOT left, no advisories on the previous MOT and has the tough old 1.9 TD from Peugeot under the bonnet, the interior is really clean too and I think a decent polish will bring the paintwork back alot brighter, roofrack is coming off too, even the A/C works!!, not a bad find for £300, I didn't think, now the E55 can be enjoyed for what it is meant to be for and not being stuck in traffic alot, drinking fuel and not moving.

Last edited:
Wise choice considering fuel prices and servicing costs, it'll probably be a lot more reliable too (in the long run)!

Hope all goes well with it!

I think it even will run on silly fuel aka veg oil, although don't know if I can be bothered with that at this time of year.

They are pretty solid... until they go wrong at which point they get thrown in the bin.

^ A 1.9 TD is a solid lump as long as you make sure the coolant is properly full.
Low coolant and the system not bled is the reason why head gaskets fail, otherwise that car will probably do 500k no bother.

There is plenty of coolant in it and I will be keeping an eye on it, the 1.9 TD is a pretty good old diesel engine, it's not the quietest or fastest out there but is perfect for what I want it for.

I had a Citroen ZX TD with the XUD engine in it - ran it for 7yrs with just routine servicing. As everyone says as long as you don't overheat them XUD can go on into the 100's of thousands.

So this is just run it at 169k then?:eek:.

Yes - it's a primitive diesel!

It's a step up on the last car I had with an XUD engine, that didn't even have a turbo:doh:.

I think it even will run on silly fuel aka veg oil, although don't know if I can be bothered with that at this time of year.

Yes you can run that one on veggy oil without issue,its the later Hdi's that dont like it which is a shame as I have one(406 110) and a cracking good car it is too:thumb:

It's a step up on the last car I had with an XUD engine, that didn't even have a turbo:doh:.

This has a turbo? It's lightyears ahead of the W123 300D I'm after then!

Well done for finding one at such a good price, that's quite a lot of car for pennies. Don't forget to bin those mats, though!

Yes you can run that one on veggy oil without issue,its the later Hdi's that dont like it which is a shame as I have one(406 110) and a cracking good car it is too:thumb:

Here's hoping my Bookers card hasn't expired then, I might go and fill it up tomorrow, although not with very much at this time of year, I did want to get an HDI myself as their a bit more modern and slightly faster too but this one came up and it was so cheap I thought why not.

Here's hoping my Bookers card hasn't expired then, I might go and fill it up tomorrow, although not with very much at this time of year, I did want to get an HDI myself as their a bit more modern and slightly faster too but this one came up and it was so cheap I thought why not.

This has a turbo? It's lightyears ahead of the W123 300D I'm after then!

Well done for finding one at such a good price, that's quite a lot of car for pennies. Don't forget to bin those mats, though!

It does have a turbo, even can faintly hear it spool up over the prehistoric diesel clatter!!, the mats are going tomorrow when I buy some new ones in a much more neutral colour.

Bang on for £300! (Though when I opened the thread I was expecting a Merc) :)

Love it. You can't beat bangernomics.
Two extreme scenarios/
Blow it up tomorrow and you've lost £300. Boo Hoo.
Run it for a year, and flog it for £300. Bargain.

I even like the red mats!! ;)

Love it. You can't beat bangernomics.
Two extreme scenarios/
Blow it up tomorrow and you've lost £300. Boo Hoo.
Run it for a year, and flog it for £300. Bargain.

I even like the red mats!! ;)
He'd get about £150 by weighing it in at the scrappers!

I've always had a soft spot for Peugeots, I've had a couple of 406s and 306s in my younger years.

Good luck with it.:thumb:

just filter it thru some socks and do the top gear thing,put some thinners in the oil and off ya go,if it goes bang and explodes i live in argentina under the name of bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom