Bought an ML350 and now I want my money back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Leases on the Disco 5 look good!!

RR Sport is still an option. X5 definitely out. Lexus could be interesting, but don't fancy a hybrid as they age, too complex and expensive to fix. Don't do any off-road, so just looking for big comfy cruiser. Was originally considering 5 series touring, but so many have been clocked.

Cayenne definitely worth a look:thumb: whats your budget? a good friend of mine has a 2013MY diesel, really rates it...

RR Sport is still an option. X5 definitely out. Lexus could be interesting, but don't fancy a hybrid as they age, too complex and expensive to fix. Don't do any off-road, so just looking for big comfy cruiser. Was originally considering 5 series touring, but so many have been clocked.

Owned an 2009 X5, possibly the worse vehicle I've ever owned; hideous interior, cheap plastics, rock hard ride, tiny boot and to top it all off nobody ever lets you out at junctions.

Having been in both, I would agree. X5 bad, but X3 better (and I don't let X5 drivers out either, or X6 come to that)

the X3 3.0d did surprise me (as a passenger), but I thought VW interiors were drab until I sat in that specific X3)

The ML from the outside is one of the more attractive SUV's

Q7 is a reverse tardis; look massive outside but I small inside and the boot space is pitiful. 4.2 TDI engine is a beast though.

Take a TDV8 RR Sport out, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Having been in both, I would agree. X5 bad, but X3 better (and I don't let X5 drivers out either, or X6 come to that)

the X3 3.0d did surprise me (as a passenger), but I thought VW interiors were drab until I sat in that specific X3)

I agree, I think the X3 seems more in proportion compared to the X5. The new GLC is also very good looking, the GLE a bit ugly when side by side.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have a loan of an R320cdi for the weekend. 56 plate 61k miles, lovely condition, and pretty quick. If the missus likes it tonight then it might be a keeper.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have a loan of an R320cdi for the weekend. 56 plate 61k miles, lovely condition, and pretty quick. If the missus likes it tonight then it might be a keeper.

You have redeemed yourself! :thumb:

The R Class is a much under-rated car and represents huge value for money. I always say - those that have them, love them (including me), and those that have never driven one, complain about them.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I think I'll do a deal on this one. R320 CDI Sport. Does come with Xenons, memory seats, looks like 19"s, cd changer. Anyone know how to remove the detachable tow hitch. I have the key, but wont budge.

I think I'll do a deal on this one. R320 CDI Sport. Does come with Xenons, memory seats, looks like 19"s, cd changer. Anyone know how to remove the detachable tow hitch. I have the key, but wont budge.

If it's an Oris , like the factory one on my 190 , they can get sticky if left on , removal may involve use of penetrating oil and hitting it with a big hammer to loosen off .

You need to pull the "nob" out as you turn it, the tow bar should then drop but coax it by, hand or with a tap if it's been in position a very long time.

So did you go for it? I have a soft spot for R's but have never owned one.

Keen to see how you get on as I may buy an old one of these for out in Copenhagen.

Re the hitch try a long squirt of WD40 it's probably never been removed.

Thanks guys, gave it a good spray with wd40 this morning. Thanks for the tip about pulling the knob out as you turn. Will try again tomorrow morning. Need to go to MB to get the tow hitch blanking panel for the bumper, checked everywhere in the car this morning but can't find it. Been for a good drive today. Much easier than the ML to drive, 320 engine has better torque lower down which makes it much easier to drive in traffic and getting out of junctions. Also drives just like a car, don't really notice the size compared to driving the ML. But I still liked the ML, I liked the sense of pantomime whenever you got into it, R just feels like another car, but I'm sure it will grow on me, and maybe the ML's 'fun' might turn into a pain after a while.

The wife likes it and will be much easier for her to drive. Only niggle I have atm is the amount of rattles in the back. I think because of the 6 individual seats and 2 being adjustable there are a lot of mechanical parts rattling around. Will get some foam blocks to quieten things down.

Glad you got sorted out buddy

Health to enjoy your R class

Many happy miles.

I think some cars give you a sense of something when you get in them and drive. I think the ML is one such car as is the SL.

Absolutely flowrider, used to be like that when I had an xjs and then an xj8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom