bought from a dealer , what rights do i have ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2003-c180kcoupe

Car
c180k coupe
i bought my car recently from a dealer and in that time i have had to replace all tyres , a track rod end and a door lock mechanism .it had a 3 month warranty but the track rod end and a door lock mechanism were not covered and today olly found oil in the wiring loom which will need new cam sensors , wiring loom , blockers for loom and a new lambda sensor . it also had an intermittent esp fault which is now happening every morning needing a new speed sensor .

i have just checked the purchase date and it is only 4 months and 2 days ago . is the dealer still responsible as i have only owned the car for such a short time ?

If the 3 month warranty has expired I dont think you have a leg to stand on unless they do something as a gesture of good will or put some money towards it. Could be wrong but might be worth talking to them to see what they will do.

IIRC, I think 3 months is all they have to provide by law, but I could be wrong. Were any of these issues apparent when you bought the car?

By law you have 6 months, but it is really hard to prove it after that amount of time.

Have you made the dealer aware of these faults and was it a main dealer or a trader?

By law you have 6 months, but it is really hard to prove it after that amount of time.

Have you made the dealer aware of these faults and was it a main dealer or a trader?

it was a trader , i havnt contacted him yet as i only found out today about the oil in the wiring loom . i want to try and get something down on paper over the weekend to send him and will call him on monday .

This is a well known problem that cannot be classified as a breakdown or sudden failure. This is a gradual degradation and a known manufactural defect.

The dealer doesn't have to do anything but a good dealer may offer to sort it out of goodwill.

I'd expect him to cover the o2 sensor though.

i would have gone to the dealer to get them to resolve it forst before trying out of your own pocket!

things like tyres you should have spotted before buying the car

i would have gone to the dealer to get them to resolve it forst before trying out of your own pocket!

things like tyres you should have spotted before buying the car

only found out about it today so nothing has been resolved !and difficult when the seller isn't local to where i live .

and i get your point about the tyres , they looked on the low side but i thought they had more miles left than they had . they are not really the issue here

contacted the trader today and as expected they were not interested .

You can only hold him responsible for things that render the car unfit for purpose - if he MOT'ed the car just before he sold it to you, i'd claim those tyres back or you could report him for a dodgy MOT

The other stuff you've mentioned are harder.. they don't stop the car from working... you just bought what sounds like a bit of lemon... sorry

You can only hold him responsible for things that render the car unfit for purpose - if he MOT'ed the car just before he sold it to you, i'd claim those tyres back or you could report him for a dodgy MOT
He could have done thousands of miles since then.

had just under 6 months tax on it

Try quoting sales of goods act. Purchase needs to be of reasonable quality, taking into account its age.

...and also the price paid.

Presumably it's a 2003 car. How much was it and how many miles has it done?

The reality is that an 8 year old car is verging on being a banger. It's going to have things wrong with and need money spending. It'll still (hopefully) cost less than buying a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom