Bouncy E36!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bits G

Car
Jag XJR, 911 Turbo, E63 AMG
Hi Guys
After driving my e36 for a few months, I have found the car to 'bounce' when travelling over 50-60mph over certain dips in the road. I had springs custom made with exactly the same characteristics as the original items. The rear springs were 35mm shorter and the fronts 40mm. The dampers are untouched. Can anyone come up with any ideas to help? I do not want to lose ride quality.

Hi Guys
After driving my e36 for a few months, I have found the car to 'bounce' when travelling over 50-60mph over certain dips in the road. I had springs custom made with exactly the same characteristics as the original items. The rear springs were 35mm shorter and the fronts 40mm. The dampers are untouched. Can anyone come up with any ideas to help? I do not want to lose ride quality.

I'm never a fan of custom springs. I would have stuck to H&R or Eibachs.

If the new springs have the same characteristics then surely they'd be the same but missing half a loop or similar?

The problem you have is that your shocks are designed for the height your car is sitting at. You'll need new sport shocks, but you will loose the smooth ride but get awesome power. You can try changing the shocks for standard ones but thye probably won't last as long but help get rid of the bouncy travel.

Personally i would fit a set of Bilstein or Spax adjustable shocks, that way you would be able to adjust the ride comfort for your liking.

What to go for? Bilstein or Spax?

What to go for? Bilstein or Spax?

Best thing is to ring up Elite motorsports in Rainham, tell them that you have a E36 W124 and you're looking for adjustable sport shocks. They'll give you all the manufacturer's they stock and prices.

Not entirely sure, find out whats available for your car and post the results up and i'm sure someone on here will know. Otherwise ask the Elite chaps for their advise as they are very knowledgable and will give you the pros and cons on each one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom