Boys Christening Present

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

My cousin has asked me to be Godfather to his boy child.

Ideas on a present?

I'd like something with longevity

I'm stumped apart from giving him my w124!!! (Which ain't happening)

Any ideas most appreciated

Not suggesting this as the main present but when our daughter was born someone bought her The Times newspaper (from the date she was born) vacuum sealed. It's now in her keepsake box. When she's older she can open it up and take a look at what was happening in the world when she was born. I thought it was a nice idea.

She also got Premium Bonds in her name.

Ant.

I got a pewter tankard.

He is indeed a baby.

Something silver would be nice, but what? I was wondering about cuff links, the newspaper is a good idea as a little extra

You can order back copies on-line with any newspaper.

Ant.

My cousin has asked me to be Godfather to his boy child.

That sounds like a line from one of the Godfather films :D

What about a silver ingot engraved with his name etc? They can be bought in various sizes and can be put in a perspex display box. Maybe even put a message on it saying bought for your christening as a gift you can put towards your first car (or such like) when you are old enough…but put better, of course.

Some childrens religious books that his parents can read to him, and the main thing is your time.

a bottle to lay down until he is 18

Some books on atheism so he arrives at adulthood with an open and undoctrinated mind.

My christening (actually my second having been baptised in timor mortis as I had pneumonia) produced some silverware (a little beaker, a bowl and an engraved napkin ring), a pair of engraved gold cufflinks (I fear they have disappeared in the wash) and apparently a bottle of vintage champagne (snaffled by my parents) and some port (ditto). A rather lovely gift for a boy used to be a pipe of port (a barrel of varying size but taken to be 6 dozen) from the vintage of the birth, so not yet declared I would expect, which would happily see any young man through a lifetime of great port drinking. Lesser quantities permissible.

The only christening gift I still have 55 years later is a small engraved tankard, so that one worked out OK from a longevity POV!

Some superb ideas, especially the pen, a favourite poem of mine that should stand anyone in good sted

Thank you all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom