brabus d6 chip help??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajre320

Banned
Car
e320
Hi Merc men/ladies, I've joined the forum tonight having seen your threads. Obvious that there are some knowledgeable peeps on here !
I have a w211 e320 with factory D6 chip/exhaust and some other bits. All factory done. I bloody love it !! Nice to have something a bit different to the new stuff, and sounds amazing. BUT...
I'm getting loss of power and sluggish starts. I've read threads and can say that I've already done the injectors, the glow plugs, the EGR, a dpf test, a full merc diagnostics, swirl flaps/manifold off and cleaned etc etc. and nothing has worked.
I'm thinking now and so is my very helpful local back street garage, that this may be either an ECU/the D6 box playing up?
So my question I guess is two-fold. firstly any ideas? and secondly, how can I get the D6 box tested?? Merc main dealers seemed lost when I even mentioned Brabus, and tuning companies where I live in the south west just want to rip it all out and just do a standard remap. but I would like to keep it Brabus as it was designed. thanks in advance.

Welcome :) Can you not just unplug the Brabus D6 and see if that solves your issue, as I was under the impression they are just plug and play units or is it a more technical than that? :dk:

A response already, how cool ! thanks
It does plug in, but it also has wires everywhere connecting to the injectors, so not sure what will happen if I simply unplug it? Maybe worth a try I suppose? i'll see what other here have to say on that as well?? I did that with the maff sensors.... but they were replaced failry recently as well I think by the last owner who was prob trying to resolve the issues as well. (but unsuccessfully !)

I was just typing have you changed the MAF, was it for a genuine Mercedes unit?

Has the turbo/actuator been tested? How does the engine sound and does it lose power for a split second or go into a full limp mode?

the maf sensors are bosch I think. its had a new turbo at soe point but I have no idea about its actuator? i'll ask my mechanic.
the engine seems to lose power and revs, but at random times and I put my foot down and it very gently picks up but not as it should, then it sort of cat

catches up with itself then takes off like a rocket again, no sense or rhythm to it, really random

time to strip and clean out the turbo actuator, re-grease the worm drive with a small amount of hi-temp grease

my man says that merc should have picked that up if it was that when they had it in for a full diagnostic. another issue I forgot to mention is the appalling fuel economy, my old car which was the same but standard e320cdi gave me always 35mpg and over on a run. the brabus is stuck on 27mpg regardless of what I seem to do?
tried unplugging the brabus chip today and the car went straight into limp mode but with no warning lights on, just struggled to get to 40 mph

This help?
http://www.zen104526.zen.co.uk/brabus/D6 Fitting.pdf

Looks complicated but basically you are unplugging the MB lead to say a certain sensor and plugging it into the Brabus loom which leads to the D6 box-- you then take the corresponding other Brabus lead from the D6 box and plug it into the sensor---- in effect placing some of the box circuitry in between [ in series with] the original MB lead and its sensor. If all the engine sensors were in one place then the Brabus loom would be compact- but because they are scattered all over the engine its a bit of a spider's web leading to and from the D6
First thing I would check is the integrity of the D6 wiring insulation in the car in case its been damaged by heat and in particular that lead 3 the engine earth/ground strap failing that its possible one of the standard sensors/components has failed?

Last edited:
Check all the connections carefully, my Brabus harness had a couple of broken wires on it - could be something as simple as that, picture attached...

Attachments

• IMG_20190508_153812.jpg
    IMG_20190508_153812.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom