Brabus D6 III, How Long Did Yours Take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

About 3 weeks ago I bought a Brabus D6 III 3.0 V6 CDi box from another forum member for a very reasonable price.

The actual part is badged up for a CLK 320 V6 CDi, but after a fair bit of research, I came to the conclusion that the boxes are generic and should work on all V6 CDIs.

I had the box fitted by my local German Indy who used the Brabus fitting instructions.
Now I have covered c800 miles since fitting and besides a couple of times when I must have been willing it to work, it isn't.

I've emailed Brabus three times with only one reply, which wasn't that helpful to be honest.

So I thought I'd start this thread to see what other peoples experiences were with the Brabus box, either V6 or IL6.

And also if anyone has got any advice in general, I'm starting to run out of ideas & patience..

What is it that makes you think it isn't working? I'm presuming no observed change in performance?

I'm in the process of fitting the IL6 one, less connections to deal with. Couldn't get it to work last night, but it was raining so I was rushing it, and I'm having to guess it as I don't have the instructions.

Seemingly no change in performance or mpg.

Mpg especially, I get about 29 mpg round town and 38 on a good run and having seen what the Brabus box is meant to achieve, those figures should be 8-10 mpg better.

Speak of the devil....
I've just received this reply from Brabus;

usually the extrapower should be available after only few miles
(maxímum 60miles).
Please turn on the ignition and check if the green led on the powerXtra module is blinking.
This gives proof powerXtra is working or not.
Normally the performance-kit article-no. 209-736-00 is not the correct one for use on e-class 320CDI,
but it should work and a power enhancement should be felt.

The D6(III) I had fitted worked straight away, some models do have different engine maps but can't see why the box wouldn't work because the CLK320 CDI and E320 CDI aren't drastically different

I was like you after install, couldnt tell at all.

It took 6 days before i saw the dramatic change and loved it ever since:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/107231-e350-coupe-bonnet-not-sat-right-4.html

If you give Brabus the serial number of the box they will be able to tell if you have the correct power map applied to the box.
I believe the boxes are generic but they are programmed by Brabus for your particular model.

Last edited:
Just received this email from Markus at Brabus;

The fact that the green light is blinking gives proof
that the kit is working properly.
Are there any faults to be found within the OBD system?

What I'm going to do next, now that I know the box is working, is change the air filters for K&Ns, get it on Star to see if it's throwing any codes up and then get it on a rolling road.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, I'm still getting used to the 7 speed gearbox little quirks.
I've got a sneaking suspicion that because it's meant for the CLK, it might not be unleashing it's full potential.

I had a quick look on Autoroute and Nottingham/Derby are mid way between us - I'm happy to meet you for a "comp" if that would be helpful.

As suggested before though - change those filters, even if it's just by way of elimination. :thumb:

I had a quick look on Autoroute and Nottingham/Derby are mid way between us - I'm happy to meet you for a "comp" if that would be helpful.

As suggested before though - change those filters, even if it's just by way of elimination. :thumb:

Cheers John. :thumb: PM on it's way.

Well, after a *ahem* test against Developer215 last night, I can confirm that the Brabus box is working! TF!

I was starting to think I was going crazy, trying to discover whether it worked or not.

I think I'm still getting used to this V6 with a 7 speed gearbox and that's why. It still doesn't feel as quick as the old IL6 bizarrely....:rock:

All in all, I'm just glad to know either way that it worked.:D

^^^
Drive it like that for a month or two, then remove the box and feel the difference it makes.

In some ways it shows the quality of the Brabus box. Mine feels pretty much like it did before, except the giant hand propelling you up the road has now got a hurry on.

^^^
Drive it like that for a month or two, then remove the box and feel the difference it makes.

Totally agree with this. I had the D6 fitted to my CLC320 CDI and like you wasn't too impressed - the trouble is the engine is so Torquay and smooth! When I removed it 3 years later I certainly noticed the drop.

My improvement in mpg was only 1-2 at best with the box fitted.

Great bit of kit considering it keeps the warranty intact.

Simon

In some ways it shows the quality of the Brabus box. Mine feels pretty much like it did before, except the giant hand propelling you up the road has now got a hurry on.

^^^

Two very good points :thumb:

Here's a couple of photo's from out impromtu "chip testing" meet.

002-3.jpg

003-5.jpg

I can see why the man is looking for new wheels now...16's look positively anorexic!

Looking at those wheel arch gaps I'd say my Airmatic was still on "vehicle rising" (I'd been playing with it).

What a rubbish pose :(

How long before the 'parking police' come along, John? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom