Brabus D6 III Tuning box. Anyone fitted one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kid-jensen

MB Enthusiast
Car
ML 320 W164
As per the title really.

Just bought one on ebay (maybe from someone on here!) and need a copy of the fitting instructions.....preferrably relating to a W164 ML 320.

Closest I've got is a German copy but my German is non-existant, apart from "Zwei Bier Bitte", so an English copy would really help..

I removed one from my CLS320, I have the English instructions somewhere. They are basically the same for all models, the difference being the location of the tuning box and bracket.

PM me your email address and I will dig them out this evening.

Simon

PS failing that, Brabus are pretty helpful usually too.

The ever-professional Guys at Brabus sent me a copy within an hour!

Astounding Customer Service considering I've not spent a penny (directly) with them.

Can't imagine many Tuning companies over here doing that...

Forgive my ignorance on these things but how does a tuning box differ from a remap?

I understand a map is a program written and loaded onto the ECU.

Is a tuning box effectively sending the ECU false readings so the ECU fuels in a different way (or something along those lines)?

Forgive my ignorance on these things but how does a tuning box differ from a remap?

I understand a map is a program written and loaded onto the ECU.

Is a tuning box effectively sending the ECU false readings so the ECU fuels in a different way (or something along those lines)?

Pretty much. A tuning box connects to the fuel rail pressure sensor and sends ECU the wrong data thus raising the pressure. More pressure = more diesel = more power.

That is a very basic one, many more advanced ones sit on the boost rail too and increase boost and on the injectors to control it nearly as well as a remap.

I have had a D6 and was seriously impressed with it.

Had a CRD-T+ box on a BMW and been as impressed as any remap.

Some boxes are excellent.

My reason for going with a tuning box (Brsabus one, because it is well-respected) was simple economics.

A remap costs say £350. When you sell the car, you're giving the next owner an extra £350....most used car buyers will not pay more for a car with a remap, the vast majority will to offer less, expecting it to be clapped.

With a tuning box, you can remove it.....it still has a big chunk of it's value left and can be sold-on.

Did you get a ML320 specific D6 III or from another model?

They should all fit, I think the harness may be shorter/longer on some models, so you might have to locate the box closer, but all the connectors are the same for each one.

The model I bought includes ML W164 in it's applications list.

I didn't bid against you, did I?

Well, It didn't work.....couldn't start the car after fitting.

Saw a couple of crushed wires in the Brabus loom, but not really sure that was the problem.

Anyway, looking for another Brabus D6 III now, or possibly a remap....

Seems strange?

What are you doing with it? Sending it back?

if you want me to have a look at it I can.

PaulG said:
Well, It didn't work.....couldn't start the car after fitting. Saw a couple of crushed wires in the Brabus loom, but not really sure that was the problem. Anyway, looking for another Brabus D6 III now, or possibly a remap....
Get a remap :)

gIzzE, thanks for the offer but the crushed wires worried me, (and the fact that it didn't work!) so I sent it back for a refund.

Still looking for another Brabus box, but a remap is looking more tempting as (presumably) I can get the EGR coded-out.... and maybe even a before-and-after Dyno run.

At the risk of resurrecting dead threads, is there a reason some may be requested/advised to mount "in cabin" rather than in the engine bay?

I'm looking at the W212 E350 instructions which (even in German) advise to go via the fusebox and into the cabin, and this video (yes, a D4, not a D6, but the principle is the same...) clearly shows them going from the bay, into the cabin, mounting the box under the steering wheel....

ADDENDUM : Silly board editor refuses to take the time link - so jump to 2:16 in the video...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can't see any reason at all really, other than maybe there is not area that is 100% watertight on the W212?

That or heat?
I may have found a box and harness, but want to know the fun I may have. The generic D6 box is engine mounted, but this differs :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom