Brabus K8 up for auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was I the only one a tad disappointed with the "see it in action" video on that auction listing?

According to Mot's its only done 1444 miles from 2018 to 2021. Seems to have lots of advisories or fails on tyres either close to limit or cords exposed :oops:
Must say I always liked that front end with the sloping lights:)

The roof went down and the windows went up. What more do you want?
Well, they've obviously got a bit of private land to play on.I was hoping for a bit of "broom-broom" action, complete with snarly soundtrack (rather than music which sounds like it was nicked from a low-budget movie of a completely different genre ;) )

Reactions: JHS
I really liked the STI and the E46 M3. Both remarkable low mileage. But the SR04 WRC has been sold in collecting cars, and now it is in antoher auctions. feels a bit sorry for the car.1653666148253.jpegWeChat Image_20220527164255.jpg

A Manual E46 M3 is a nice thing, but a K8 with roughly the same miles for the price..no contest.

Super rare expertly fettled Brabus version of a top end AMG variation of a luxury Mercedes SL vs hot version of a mass market BMW.

And around 200 hp difference.

A Manual E46 M3 is a nice thing, but a K8 with roughly the same miles for the price..no contest.

Super rare expertly fettled Brabus version of a top end AMG variation of a luxury Mercedes SL vs hot version of a mass market BMW.

1653822036739.pngAnd what a bargain. Wish i could have the money to go on the auctions.1653822036739.png

Did pretty well for a 'hot version of a mass market BMW' though didn't it? Rated one of the best drivers cars of all time in fact.....

Did pretty well for a 'hot version of a mass market BMW' though didn't it? Rated one of the best drivers cars of all time in fact.....

I owned one back in the mid 00s, drove it a lot. A very good car, but not one of the best drivers' cars of all time. justifiably appealing when new because it was so much cheaper than a 911, while providing a lot of the fun, plus the practicality and running costs (mainly) of a mass saloon/hatch/etc. And an engine noise between 6000 and redline that didn't seem far off a true exotic, at a fraction of the price, even though it wasn't close to producing as much power as an exotic of the era.

Pricing and practicality were key to its appeal when new. Relatively affordable, and you didn't need to buy a second car for your fun.

But the equation is different now, when judged on an absolute scale, as a fun weekend classic priced at the same level or higher than the cars it used to undercut by so much. 997C2S, contemporary Gallardos, F1 360s, early Conti W12s, AM Vantage 4.7, and many more, are now around the same price and the E46 M3 is no longer a giant killer, it's playing in a higher division with its current pricing. Obviously the demand is there, as hot versions of some ordinary cars are hot right now, but it doesn't make it more than a second division/championship driver's car. CSL was better but weak SMG and no steering feel, CS manual probably the sweet spot. But a W204 C63 with the right equipment is in another league, and so is that K8.

I owned one back in the mid 00s, drove it a lot. A very good car, but not one of the best drivers' cars of all time.
I owned one too and I disagree, as do many well respected reviewers (including the likes of Road & Track).

It might not be as powerful or desirable as those other cars you mentioned, but it absolutely deserves its place and asking price. Sure you can buy an Aston V8 or a Bentley W12 but why would you want to? The original AM V8 was pretty average performing even back then and I shudder to think about the ridiculous running costs of an old Bentley today.

The CSL was arguably the best E46 M3 and given the money I’d choose that over all the cars you mentioned there - stone cold legend right there.

In my view the 204 C63 has a way better engine.....but true drivers cars are judged just as much by the handing (if not more so) than the engine. In my opinion ....and a lot of the press..... the E46 is a better handing car.....with a far more alive steering feel than the C63 204. The C63 also weighs about 100 more....and most of that feels to be over the nose. The engine (and it's noise) would sell me the C63 over the E46 M3.....but the M3 is a better drivers car......not bad for a rather older car.

EDIT....beaten by a faster typist!

At some point it becomes subjective, what is a driver's car and what defines a great one. E46 M3, like the W204 C63, is a very good car. Objectively, both are among the great drivers' cars that can seat four and do a decent job at being an everyday car for normal people, which are compromises both had to overcome, and now a 20 year old BMW is less of an everyday car. Neither come close to being among the greatest drivers' cars of all time If you take those criteria away, much as our personal passions might want them to be.

I have owned and currently own a few nice cars, not as many as many people here I guess, and I have driven and reviewed most leading performance cars and drivers' cars since 2000. It's part of my job. On a list of the best cars with four proper seats and everyday practicality, price no object, the E46 M3 and W204 C63 (with a disclosure that I owned both) would be in the top 20, C63 in the top 10. But if we're talking best drivers' cars period, that's a crowded league table, and my knowledge and experience is comprehensive only back 20 years, with a smattering of 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s cars I owned and have driven when opportunity arises. To call one of the greatest drivers' cars of all time...the E46 M3 doesn't come close to being in the top 40 of even my list. Let alone that of someone who has driven everything. It's good but not that good, with apologies to owners and confirmation bias (and this is a AMG forum!).

my favourite proper four seater driver's car of recent times is the AMG GT 63 S Four Door. Magic, and more fun than the GTR, if less precise, or maybe because it's less precise (of course they have different underpinnings). Of recent cars, the GTC4 Lusso T, which does away with 4WD, is pretty wild as a four seater also. Both combine joy and speed with space and luxury, in the four seater category. If you do away with the need for four seats...big choice.

Now don’t take this the wrong way, because I’m a dyed in the wool Mercedes nutcase, but I do like an E46 M3. Mine is just for track, and built by me for that purpose. It’s essentially a CSL with a manual gearbox, better brakes, better suspension and even lighter. The intake noise at full chat is enough on its own to be perfectly honest. If you haven’t heard the carbon airbox, the sound can be best described as you can actually hear the valves closing. Probably my favourite car of all I’ve ever owned.
3-EE5-B540-DA1-B-4-DAB-9-DBE-3-F999-A153157.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom