Brabus K8 up for auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At some point it becomes subjective, what is a driver's car and what defines a great one. E46 M3, like the W204 C63, is a very good car. Objectively, both are among the great drivers' cars that can seat four and do a decent job at being an everyday car for normal people, which are compromises both had to overcome, and now a 20 year old BMW is less of an everyday car. Neither come close to being among the greatest drivers' cars of all time If you take those criteria away, much as our personal passions might want them to be.

I have owned and currently own a few nice cars, not as many as many people here I guess, and I have driven and reviewed most leading performance cars and drivers' cars since 2000. It's part of my job. On a list of the best cars with four proper seats and everyday practicality, price no object, the E46 M3 and W204 C63 (with a disclosure that I owned both) would be in the top 20, C63 in the top 10. But if we're talking best drivers' cars period, that's a crowded league table, and my knowledge and experience is comprehensive only back 20 years, with a smattering of 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s cars I owned and have driven when opportunity arises. To call one of the greatest drivers' cars of all time...the E46 M3 doesn't come close to being in the top 40 of even my list. Let alone that of someone who has driven everything. It's good but not that good, with apologies to owners and confirmation bias (and this is a AMG forum!).

my favourite proper four seater driver's car of recent times is the AMG GT 63 S Four Door. Magic, and more fun than the GTR, if less precise, or maybe because it's less precise (of course they have different underpinnings). Of recent cars, the GTC4 Lusso T, which does away with 4WD, is pretty wild as a four seater also. Both combine joy and speed with space and luxury, in the four seater category. If you do away with the need for four seats...big choice.
I am very interested what is the 80s and 90s handling car in you 40 car list? E46 CS(not CSL, it is now crazy money) is currentlly sit in my wishlist. So it is good to take some advice from wise people.

Gratuitous shot of the helm…

3-D6-AFCF0-B89-E-45-EB-9502-CAFE55895135.png
Fab-u-lous:cool:
I've always loved the look of the E46. Decent M3s are silly money now, but this has caught my eye:
BMW E46 AC Schnitzer ACS3 C30

I've always loved the look of the E46. Decent M3s are silly money now, but this has caught my eye:
ACS 330i. Fantastic car. I had a saloon, in silver, bought from Munich Legends, in 2006. I loved the way the supercharger worked on those engines, brilliant power delivery. This looks like a very nice one.

I had E46 M3, Alpina B3, and ACS. ACS was my favourite. ACS was sold under BMW new warranty for a year or so I recall. You should buy!

ACS 330i. Fantastic car. I had a saloon, in silver, bought from Munich Legends, in 2006. I loved the way the supercharger worked on those engines, brilliant power delivery. This looks like a very nice one.

I had E46 M3, Alpina B3, and ACS. ACS was my favourite. ACS was sold under BMW new warranty for a year or so I recall. You should buy!
La,la,la. I can't hear you!🙉

You may not want to hear this but a friend of mine bought one of these for £2.5k. it was floating around Facebook for ages with a dodgy auto box. As he owned a E46 breakers, a quick manual swap, sorted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom