Brabus Kits.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raymont

Car
GL 420CDI
I’m considering getting a D8 Brabus Power Kit for my car.

I wondered if anyone has any experience of this or similar Brabus kits they could share.

Sales literature talks about increase in torque / power and improved performance, but would like hear about the less objective aspects such as responsiveness, flexibility, smoothness and so on.

Any views on effects on mechanical longevity.

I’m aware of the mileage limitation during the car’s warranty period, but wondered if ‘good will’ gestures from MB after the official warranty expires would be affected. Also wondered if purchase of extended warranty from MB would be affected.

Hi,

I have not heard of the D8, but I am having the D6 fitted to my car on Friday. The prices seem to have come down recently or I have been quoted too cheap, but hey.

There is the mileage limitation (60k) for the warranty, but they will also only fit them to cars less than 2 years old which have covered less than 18K.

As long as you don't have Brabus stickers all over your car, I would say it was worth a shot putting it in for warranty work should you go over 60K and claim ignorance....

Simon

Hi Simon and thanks for the reply. The D8 product is for the 4 litre v8 diesel engine.

I probably won't get over 60k during the three year period anyway but wondered about post warranty goodwill and extended warranty options.

Would be interested in the price you're paying if you'r happy to disclose this.

If you don't want to post it in public happy to receive a PM.

It would be good to hear what you think of it once it's fitted.

£1300 which includes fitting.

Slightly better than the usual £1360 plus fitting. Not a great saving, but I have heard horror stories about how long the fitting can take. It took them hours to get my iPod kit working.

I would suspect the D8 is similar to the D6 then - it gives 48bhp and 50nm torque.

My thoughts were that I will get nowhere near 60K in 3 years.

S

List for D8 is £1900 plus fitting. I'll have a word with my dealer and see if they can improve on that.

That's a bit rich considering it will no doubt be the same box as the D6 with different software!

The Brabus kits do seem pricey, but the fact MB still honour the warranty was the selling point for me and worth the premium.

Do you really need more torque than you already have in a V8? ;)

Do I really need the extra torque? I could probably come up with some quasi resaonable / logical reasons justifying it, but the truth is I just fancy it.

Reason for thinking about post 3 yrs / 60k reliability / warranty implications is that I really like this car and I can see me keeping it for a bit longer than 3 years.

You're right about the prices being a bit steep, typical price for 3rd party solution would be in the £500 to £600 range. But as you rightly say the warranty makes for peace of mind.

Sales blurb says 90 mins to install.

I have a D4 fitted to mine,it makes an improvement,but it's not worth all the extra money over a diesel tunning box from other manufactures that give the same power and torque figures. I guess your paying for the warranty.

Saying that the brabus boxes are very clever compared with a normal diesel box instead of fitting in between the fuel rail,the Brabus connects to the mass meter, throttle peddal, crank sensor etc.

Ok, the verdict - I wouldn't bother!

I cannot really tell much difference - I think it is to do with the fact the car is big and heavy anyway. It is quite a 'detached' experience with minimal engine noise and smooth acceleration, car was fairly rapid anyway and remains so.

MPG seems to be up a few - managed 38.7mpg after a long motorway run (70-90) which would previously have maybe managed 35mpg.

I need to do a few traffic light drag races to see for sure.....

Given the cost and the increased insurance (£300 per year) I would maybe buy a watch or something else instead....

Last edited:
I’m considering getting a D8 Brabus Power Kit for my car.

I wondered if anyone has any experience of this or similar Brabus kits they could share.

Sales literature talks about increase in torque / power and improved performance, but would like hear about the less objective aspects such as responsiveness, flexibility, smoothness and so on.

Any views on effects on mechanical longevity.

I’m aware of the mileage limitation during the car’s warranty period, but wondered if ‘good will’ gestures from MB after the official warranty expires would be affected. Also wondered if purchase of extended warranty from MB would be affected.
<old thread revival alert>

Did you ever get the Brabus D8 chip fitted Raymont?

<old thread revival alert>

Did you ever get the Brabus D8 chip fitted Raymont?

No I didn't. Car is now gone. Reason for not going ahead was (a) expensive and (b) was worried it took the torque above the continuous rating for the gearbox.This might not be true but I couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom