Brabus lowering kit W205 C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Engadine

Car
2022 C63S Brabus 600 cabrio; 2013 C63 Estate (RIP)
Would anyone here have any experience of the Brabus lowering kit, specifically for the W205 C63/C63S? It can also be fitted with a Brabus wheel camber correction kit.

I am thinking of it for my new C63S, which I am picking up next month. However I don't have any experience of such kits.

I know other manufacturers make similar kits but Brabus means the car retains warranty.

Reasons I would like the kits (together):

- if it sharpens up the handling, particularly the response around the straight ahead, where in my experience the W205 feels less sharp than my current W204 C63

- if it gives more feel, in general, and more thrill

Reasons I am hesitant:

- if it ruins the (already firm) ride. I live in central London and speed bumps and potholes are par for the course

- if it makes the car bottom out

- if it affects the handling balance negatively in another way, eg bouncing on rough roads

- it's another cost

I don't really have an opinion about the looks with/without, that wouldn't sway me either way.

It would be great to hear from anyone with any experience, positive or otherwise, and also from anyone who has actively considered but rejected this course.

Warranty aside I'd suggest MSS springs. Height adjustable to whatever you want, including standard ride height. More importantly they are known to improve both ride and handling. The rear uses three spring rates to provide small bump compliance and cornering support through two springs, one of which is progressively wound.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks Steve. It’s a brand new car so it has to be Brabus or nothing, as I wouldn’t want to risk the warranty.

That's fair enough. It's not easy to find other experiences with Brabus unfortunately as it's quite rare. How much are the Brabus springs, is it a lot to take a punt on?

It’s around £3k for the Brabus lowering kit and front camber correction set, fitted. Do you think it would transform the handling? It’s impossible to test drive the set up!

I have no experience with Brabus stuff as when I enquired I did not get a response. They mostly seem to promote their converted cars rather than performance parts as far as I can see. Also you are really paying through the nose for the peace of mind of retaining your warranty. I'm doing a few small mods to my 2020 C63s but have decided that the extra cost of Brabus stuff is better kept in case of an issue. Perhaps it's better if you speak to your dealer to find out what their attitude to mods is before you decide on Brabus or another make?

I am committed to "Brabus or nothing" for various reasons, but it's a very good point that others may not have experience of these parts/kits.

Is there a more general view on whether the W205 handles better with lowered suspension (and camber corrected) or whether there are too many compromises for daily use? My car is really an everyday workhorse. I never go on track, and even blasts on perfect country lanes are few and far between. As I mentioned above, if lowering brings a crashy ride, bottoming out, or other ill effects on non-ideal roads (as I don't live near many ideal roads), it would be good to know. I understand it must improve handling on smooth flat tarmac of the Black Forest, but sadly I won't be going there much.

Maybe it's a silly question, as in any case I tend not even to put the suspension on its firmer settings for the reasons above. If you don't have suspension in S+, why even consider getting a lowering kit...I guess..but if the steering can be sharpened a tad..hmm.

If £3k is easy change for you then it's worth a shot as some lowering springs do improve the ride. Won't be easy but you could try and find out the spring rate of OEM vs Brabus.

Brabus stuff is overpriced, there's no two ways about it. You can achieve the same, or in many cases better, results from other brands for much less money.

I've only had brief drives in two 205 C63S Estates and both I found to have notably better ride quality than my 204 which is very harsh over sharp bumps in the road. It was barely any worse of a ride in S+ (still more compliant than my 204) but it cornered hard and dug in more keenly than my 204. Both cars have a bit of free play around the straight ahead, as does anything this side of a race car.

Personally, I'd not bother with the Brabus springs. Taking camber out may help tyre life but at the cost of some cornering grip. When you're out of warranty I'd then look at MSS or a complete coilover type kit. At least spend a bit more time on the standard setup first and try the sportier modes.

@Engadine, I have the kit but I can't really answer your questions because it was fitted from new so I have nothing to compare with. Also, I have air suspension. I find it comfortable even though the kit puts the suspension onto its lowest possible setting.

What I do like is the look and I've never an issue with tyres fouling the bodywork. I was initially somewhat disappointed to find that it is non adjustable. The air suspension remains adjustable but I rarely find any need to change it.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful. I have always found Brabus helpful whenever I've needed to call them so maybe talk it over with them or with a Brabus fitting agent in UK. Also, it's just possible that Mercedes Brooklands have kit fitted on a demo as they have in the past had Brabus tuning boxes fitted on demos . Possibly worth a telephone call.

@Engadine, I have the kit but I can't really answer your questions because it was fitted from new so I have nothing to compare with. Also, I have air suspension. I find it comfortable even though the kit puts the suspension onto its lowest possible setting.

What I do like is the look and I've never an issue with tyres fouling the bodywork. I was initially somewhat disappointed to find that it is non adjustable. The air suspension remains adjustable but I rarely find any need to change it.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful. I have always found Brabus helpful whenever I've needed to call them so maybe talk it over with them or with a Brabus fitting agent in UK. Also, it's just possible that Mercedes Brooklands have kit fitted on a demo as they have in the past had Brabus tuning boxes fitted on demos . Possibly worth a telephone call.
That is interesting, thank you. I am in touch with Brabus already and they are pretty helpful. I think you're right, the key is to try a demo, good idea. I will ask.

In my experience AMG have always been oversprung. That is, the springs are too hard and the dampers struggle to control them. Whilst hard springs are great for billiard table smooth circuits, in the real world down a twisty, bumpy B road I’ve found it hard to stay in the seat, bouncing around on the edge of control. The SLK55 I had was a case in point. I removed the stock suspension and fitted a KW V3 kit which transformed it. The springs were softer than the originals and the damping control light years ahead. The addition of adjustable bolts for camber and caster bushes sharpened up the feel of the steering and the car became a joy on twisting B roads and circuits. I find my w205 C63 standard suspension something of a compromise. The dampers only really match the springs on the middle setting. Soft is too bouncy, hard you feel the damper is propping up the spring. KW offer a fully adjustable kit which also cancels the electronic dampers. Bush adjustment is not so easy. The camber bolt trick isn’t available. One must buy special offset bushes which makes it more awkward. I’m looking at doing this conversion on my car next year. Personally I’d skip the Brabus idea, wait till the warranty expires and go for a better kit.

In my experience AMG have always been oversprung. That is, the springs are too hard and the dampers struggle to control them. Whilst hard springs are great for billiard table smooth circuits, in the real world down a twisty, bumpy B road I’ve found it hard to stay in the seat, bouncing around on the edge of control. The SLK55 I had was a case in point. I removed the stock suspension and fitted a KW V3 kit which transformed it. The springs were softer than the originals and the damping control light years ahead. The addition of adjustable bolts for camber and caster bushes sharpened up the feel of the steering and the car became a joy on twisting B roads and circuits. I find my w205 C63 standard suspension something of a compromise. The dampers only really match the springs on the middle setting. Soft is too bouncy, hard you feel the damper is propping up the spring. KW offer a fully adjustable kit which also cancels the electronic dampers. Bush adjustment is not so easy. The camber bolt trick isn’t available. One must buy special offset bushes which makes it more awkward. I’m looking at doing this conversion on my car next year. Personally I’d skip the Brabus idea, wait till the warranty expires and go for a better kit.
Very interesting and great detail. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Well said @Jobsworth . I've yet to drive a car with adjustable dampers that really gives you two different experiences that work well.

A decent road car needs one setup with springs and dampers working in harmony, compliant enough to deal with poor surfaces but support mid travel for cornering. With something like KW V3 you can find that balance and then leave the thing well alone to enjoy.

Well said @Jobsworth . I've yet to drive a car with adjustable dampers that really gives you two different experiences that work well.

A decent road car needs one setup with springs and dampers working in harmony, compliant enough to deal with poor surfaces but support mid travel for cornering. With something like KW V3 you can find that balance and then leave the thing well alone to enjoy.
Thank you Steve. I am bearing this in mind for when the warranty runs out.

Fwiw the 204 Black Series has KW suspension from the factory

Very interesting. I didn't know about KW. It has risen quite fast to become what it is. Brabus are about adding power, which is relatively easy. KW"s job is much more refined and harder to define. Fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom