Brace yourself.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used to always have an argument with a mate, he always said it was green and i always said it was blue, after all there was the word blue in the colour 🤣
If you didn’t actually fight over it then I don’t believe that either of you were actually thy passionate about it 😁

All together i had a light metallic mk1 green cavalier sri 130, a blue mk2 astra sri with the burberry interior, of course the calibra and a light purple frontera sport, it looked well cool with the big wide alloys and bull bar, just wasnt a very good car
The Frontera was indeed a handsome thing, especially in that colour, Silk Violet maybe? A mate had a Nova GSi in that very hue.

Only Vauxhall I’ve ever had was an old Astramax van. Proper record breaker, did us proud. I still hold the UK land speed record. Obviously the conditions were perfect for the AstraMax, poor visibility, heavy rain and congested rush hour traffic on the M62. I fear it may not have been possible on a deserted motor in the early hours.

Fixed that for you 😁

The Frontera was indeed a handsome thing, especially in that colour, Silk Violet maybe? A mate had a Nova GSi in that very hue.
I liked the way you could remove the side, rear window and roof to turn it into a convertible on a summers day, only bad bit was if it rained when you were away from all the bits

I remember the Frontera; looked like a 4X4, but wasn't. It looked OK...

I remember when they ran an article in the AA magazine on it, asking owners what they liked about it and why they bought one, One owner said: "To be honest, I quite like what people might think about me when they see me driving it".

I thought that he wouldn't like what I would think about him...

I remember when they ran an article in the AA magazine on it, asking owners what they liked about it and why they bought one, One owner said: "To be honest, I quite like what people might think about me when they see me driving it".

I thought they were 4x4 and I recall them not being too bad compared to their contemporaries, being a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo.

The original Frontera only looked like a 4X4, like the Talbot/Matra Rancho. There may have been a subsequent model that actually was 4wd; I don't know.

Stop Press: It had part-time 4wd, like the Suzuki Vitara soft-roader.

Last edited:
They weren't permanent 4x4, no centre diff so rwd only until you lock the transfer box

My dad was a Vauxhall man for years, religiously picking up his new car every 3 years from Allweathers in Edgware.

One car that vividly stands out was the green MK1 Cavalier with the plate OPP 941P. We slept in it one night on in a lay-by on the way to Antibes one year!!

Best Vauxhall was an A reg MK1 Astra GTE in white. He took it for a spin around the Paul Ricard circuit once!! Even had the roof-rack on.

It had 4 wheel drive, always ran on the rears and you had a lever where you could select 2 wheel ,4 wheel high and 4 wheel low and there was a set of locking front hubs which you manually engaged and disengaged, once you disengaged you had to reverse 6 feet to make them free wheeling hubs again, i mind 1 evening i got mine stuck, proper stuck in some mud and went wandering for help, found a house with a range rover so knocked on his door, he reluctantly came and towed me out but wouldnt let me in his range rover and just drove slowly behind me whilst i walked back, made me totally feel like i was scum or something but i needed the help so went with it

I drove a new (ish) Frontera about 25 years ago, when I borrowed the sales director's one of a company I worked for to do a round trip from Kent to Birmingham. To me it was like driving a commercial van with windows, very agricultural, I just didn't get it 😬

I drove a new (ish) Frontera about 25 years ago, when I borrowed the sales director's one of a company I worked for to do a round trip from Kent to Birmingham. To me it was like driving a commercial van with windows, very agricultural, I just didn't get it 😬
They were proper old school 4x4 vehicles, and predate what we now know as a luxury SUV or crossover by a decade-ish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom