Brake booster problem ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macdoesit

Car
1999 sl500
99 SL500, when I press the brake pedal I hear air hiss. It is not a constant hiss,only when I press the pedal when the pedal stops the hiss stops.
What do I need to replace ? Also,can not get shifter out of park unless push brake pedal very hard.
Thank you.

The difficulty getting out of park is because the shift interlock is not releasing. There should be a cable connected to the brake pedal, it probably needs adjusting.

The difficulty getting out of park is because the shift interlock is not releasing. There should be a cable connected to the brake pedal, it probably needs adjusting.

Thank you very much, I was worried it had something to do with a vacuum line or the booster.
Thanks again.

To check the servo .With engine off pump up and down on the brake pedal till its on the floor .Then start engine while you keep your foot on the brake pedal .It should lift you foot as the vacuum is built up .

Isn't it normally the other way around? - Pump the pedal until it goes hard, then start the car and the vacuum assist should take the peal to the floor.

Isn't it normally the other way around? - Pump the pedal until it goes hard, then start the car and the vacuum assist should take the peal to the floor.

as this +1 but hopefully not right to the floor :)

OK, well pull the pedal away from you; probably not taking it too the floor you're right.

Every time I push the pedal I hear a (woosh) sound, none of my other vehicles do that.

Any change in the engine revs when you hear the "woosh"? - Generally the servo assist is running off the inlet manifold vacuum, so split pipe might be why it makes than noise.
If it is a split pipe, then you might see the engine revs change as vacuum suddenly doesn't go anywhere.

It's something to look at anyway.

Any change in the engine revs when you hear the "woosh"? - Generally the servo assist is running off the inlet manifold vacuum, so split pipe might be why it makes than noise.
If it is a split pipe, then you might see the engine revs change as vacuum suddenly doesn't go anywhere.

It's something to look at anyway.[/QUOT

The woosh sound is inside the car and engine idle does not change. :confused:

Noise is normal...my honda makes the same noise...do the brakes work as normal? If so no need to worry...

From what I have looked up, the problem may be in the shifter area.
I looked at the brake pedal and saw no cable or lever attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom