Brake Booster Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The technician is on his way…
Clean bill of health. There was no sign of rust on the booster/servo so there was no need for the hard brake test using Xentry.

If it’s all OK Mercedes tell the Technician not to refit the band around the edge of the booster/servo to avoid it holding moisture.

He said water comes down from he scuttle when drains are blocked and it gets trapped behind the band causing rust.

I’ve not driven it since Winter so I ought to take it out for a celebratory drive. Shame I’m not getting the £30 per day though 😁

I called MB Stoke and asked them to send me a copy of the technicians report
Still waiting though

I'll await my letter I guess as nothing seen yet....or is the C292 not affected?
Your vehicle is not old enough to be in the recall AFAIK. Mercedes probably changed the brake booster component supplier/design after a certain point in time
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
2011 ML350 Grand Edition WDC164125
Got my notice post dated 24th May 2022, arrived 31st May, immediately contacted Mercedes at Stratford on Avon and after chasing numerous times they finally send someone over on 17th June.
He very forcefully ripped the rubber band off the Brake Booster, did not check how much the rust has shortenned the life of the brake booster as it is clearly very difficult to visually inspect the bottom of the brake booster, but did run tests to check pressure and pressure drop. What he did'nt say is how this severe pressure test is and how it can affect your car if your entire braking systems is not in near perfect condition, I could imagine calipher cylinders forced out to there limit could stick. In my expericence when I came to drive the car, after having no previous fault, the ABS light came on.
Rang Mercedes Stratford on Avon they said the earliest they can book me in to check is 4th July 2022 and that if THEY decide it is not as a result of their work I will have to pay £ 120 just for them to check, before any charges for anything that may need changing. As I am pretty sure unless there are lots of people having this fault after the "fix" I will get charged with them saying it was "coincidental" so take note, be warned, better for them to take your car into the garage and drive it back to you. Something the engineer said makes me suspect this is not the first time the test has had consequences.
Going to have my local garage have a quick look.
I too have asked for a report, will post it if it ever arrives.
Overall VERY dissappointed in Mercedes.

Attachments

• 20220617_084438 (1).jpg
    20220617_084438 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220617_143137(1).jpg
    20220617_143137(1).jpg
    881 KB · Views: 19
2011 ML350 Grand Edition WDC164125
Got my notice post dated 24th May 2022, arrived 31st May, immediately contacted Mercedes at Stratford on Avon and after chasing numerous times they finally send someone over on 17th June.
He very forcefully ripped the rubber band off the Brake Booster, did not check how much the rust has shortenned the life of the brake booster as it is clearly very difficult to visually inspect the bottom of the brake booster, but did run tests to check pressure and pressure drop. What he did'nt say is how this severe pressure test is and how it can affect your car if your entire braking systems is not in near perfect condition, I could imagine calipher cylinders forced out to there limit could stick. In my expericence when I came to drive the car, after having no previous fault, the ABS light came on.
Rang Mercedes Stratford on Avon they said the earliest they can book me in to check is 4th July 2022 and that if THEY decide it is not as a result of their work I will have to pay £ 120 just for them to check, before any charges for anything that may need changing. As I am pretty sure unless there are lots of people having this fault after the "fix" I will get charged with them saying it was "coincidental" so take note, be warned, better for them to take your car into the garage and drive it back to you. Something the engineer said makes me suspect this is not the first time the test has had consequences.
Going to have my local garage have a quick look.
I too have asked for a report, will post it if it ever arrives.
Overall VERY dissappointed in Mercedes.
What was the reason you contacted the main dealer rather than book online as instructed in the letter?

What did the engineer say which made you think be there are consequences?

Someone in this thread - or another just like it - mentioned that the test caused a failure of the braking system and Mercedes picked up the bill.

Your braking system will be 11 years old. I imagine the brake servo test is calibrated to within "from factory" brake system performance limits. In testing for servo weakness it may have stressed other components in the 11 year old braking system beyond their remaining limits which may have degraded over time. You could regard this as potentially a good thing as it has warned of another previously undetected weakness in the brake system- assuming the brake stress test was carried out correctly?

What was the reason you contacted the main dealer rather than book online as instructed in the letter?

What did the engineer say which made you think be there are consequences?

Someone in this thread - or another just like it - mentioned that the test caused a failure of the braking system and Mercedes picked up the bill.
I had another Safety Recall for an Air Bag fault (SRPC1932) 9th June 22, so had been dealing with the dealer and had all their contact details, also the SRPC2222 recall letter said "Please urgently contact your nearest or most convenient Mercedes-Benz dealer quoting reference number SRPC2222" so I was following the letter instructions.
It only said to contact [email protected] if I had an issue, which I did when the reply was slow,
After he removed the rubber band and I saw the rust stains I asked the engineer if the Brake Booster was now safe and he said while they could not visually inspect it, they test the system under high pressure and it would reveal any problems. He said most go through with no problems, not all. High pressure and most unsettled me.
Mercedes "may" pick up the bill but I have to take my car in at 8:00am on 4th July (earliest appointment) and leave it with them for a day and pay £120 for the inspection if they decide it is a coincidence the problem occurred straight after their work.
in an update called RAC and they said the right rear speed sensor is not giving a signal and there are several recent faults showing which he called peculiar, this is his report.
System Type: BRAKES
Name: ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM - ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP164)
DTC: 5752,Yaw rate, lateral and longitudinal acceleration sensor, zero point variation (yaw rate)
DTC: 6001,The supply voltage of the control unit is too low (undervoltage).
DTC: 5131,Rear right speed sensor
DTC: 7266,ESP disturbance
DTC: 5132,Rear right speed sensor
DTC: 5135,Rear right speed sensor
DTC: 5136,Rear right speed sensor

I can get and replace the right rear speed sensor for less than it will cost to send to Mercedes (time, fuel, parts cost, etc).

Last edited:
Looks as if you had another coincidental brake sensor problem, which would be unrelated to your brake booster test. Try replacing the speed sensor 1st to eliminate the fault codes?

I had another Safety Recall for an Air Bag fault (SRPC1932) 9th June 22, so had been dealing with the dealer and had all their contact details, also the SRPC2222 recall letter said "Please urgently contact your nearest or most convenient Mercedes-Benz dealer quoting reference number SRPC2222" so I was following the letter instructions.
It only said to contact [email protected] if I had an issue, which I did when the reply was slow,
After he removed the rubber band and I saw the rust stains I asked the engineer if the Brake Booster was now safe and he said while they could not visually inspect it, they test the system under high pressure and it would reveal any problems. He said most go through with no problems, not all. High pressure and most unsettled me.
Mercedes "may" pick up the bill but I have to take my car in at 8:00am on 4th July (earliest appointment) and leave it with them for a day and pay £120 for the inspection if they decide it is a coincidence the problem occurred straight after their work.
in an update called RAC and they said the right rear speed sensor is not giving a signal and there are several recent faults showing which he called peculiar, this is his report.
System Type: BRAKES
Name: ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM - ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP164)
DTC: 5752,Yaw rate, lateral and longitudinal acceleration sensor, zero point variation (yaw rate)
DTC: 6001,The supply voltage of the control unit is too low (undervoltage).
DTC: 5131,Rear right speed sensor
DTC: 7266,ESP disturbance
DTC: 5132,Rear right speed sensor
DTC: 5135,Rear right speed sensor
DTC: 5136,Rear right speed sensor

I can get and replace the right rear speed sensor for less than it will cost to send to Mercedes (time, fuel, parts cost, etc).
What was the result of this? Mine has same issue after recall

Clean bill of health. There was no sign of rust on the booster/servo so there was no need for the hard brake test using Xentry.

If it’s all OK Mercedes tell the Technician not to refit the band around the edge of the booster/servo to avoid it holding moisture.

He said water comes down from he scuttle when drains are blocked and it gets trapped behind the band causing rust.

I’ve not driven it since Winter so I ought to take it out for a celebratory drive. Shame I’m not getting the £30 per day though 😁
A quick update following the above post. Today I received a very short letter from Mercedes offering a goodwill gesture in the form of a £75 John Lewis voucher.

Bizarre as they did it the very next day at a time of my choice and at my home, and there was no issue found, but I received a goodwill gesture!

Has anyone else received one?

Never received a goodwill gesture for any other recall, even those which have required a trip to the dealer, a wait, or even resulted in repairs at my cost. Bizarre!

A quick update following the above post. Today I received a very short letter from Mercedes offering a goodwill gesture in the form of a £75 John Lewis voucher.

Bizarre as they did it the very next day at a time of my choice and at my home, and there was no issue found, but I received a goodwill gesture!

Has anyone else received one?

Never received a goodwill gesture for any other recall, even those which have required a trip to the dealer, a wait, or even resulted in repairs at my cost. Bizarre!
I received the same a couple of days ago and know of someone else who received his a few weeks ago.

I received the same a couple of days ago and know of someone else who received his a few weeks ago.
Very strange. Completely unnecessary too (IMHO). Makes me wonder what the purpose of sending it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom