Brake cables - chewed by a fox?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Spoke with my dad tonight, he said he went to move his mobile home/camper van thingy and the brake pedal went right to the floor. No fluid he thought, it's only a 54 reg Kontiki based on a Peugeot chassis so a little odd to have a problem.

Upon inspection he found a brake cable (2 actually) had been seemingly chewed! Small bite marks evident and an ABS sensor/cable eaten too! So far, parts have cost him over £300, impressed he is not.

I've never heard of this before, it sounds bizarre. Foxes are very common where he lives and they do appear where the 'van parks, as evident by the droppings on & around the driveway.

If not a fox, what else? He said definitely chewed, not cut :confused:

I posted this in general, as I guess it isn't really motorhome specific

Has his wife got him well insured ;) :devil:

post pics of the chewed pipe work against a 2p or something for scale, its easy to spot whats been chewing by the teeth marks, i used to be in pest control and foxes do chew random stuff, had a place having there bags of cement damaged every night by a fox.

Its a pretty weak arguement for bringing back fox hunting with horses and a change of Govt, but worth a try. :devil: :D

I hope he has kept the pipes; I'm down next week for a few days so if still available I'll take some pics (they live near Brighton). I'm not sure about the brake light, didn't ask, he didn't mention :D

As for bringing back hunting, he is interested in some pest control, but so far is looking at fox repellent/deterrent ultra-sonic etc but I think a mini elec fence is the way forward :rolleyes:

Oh and please don't mention rats :devil:

Sonic deterants never work, they get used to em, same as if you live near a railway line you stop hearing the trains.

I heard they get used to an AR15 as well.
Once

Maybe it was Marten that did it.;)

no point shooting a fox these days, they are so crowded in another one will just move in to the vacant territory, better off keeping it out.

Do you mean brake pipe? Surely the brakes aren't cable operated?!

Can he get those upgraded alloy ones you can get on race / track cars? braided type?

might help for next time?

I bet they have got into the camper and chewed inside too... I would check the cavities carefully as they will chew through wires too.

The g'f's brother had some warning lights come on in his Alfa. Took it to the garage, "Do you live by a canal?" they asked - turned out a rat had made a nest in part of the loom, chewed it and re-arranged it to suit.... :eek:
Apparently they don't like cedar wood: chap in a Land Rover mag had a rat prob and got some cedar chips which he put around the car, no prob since. Whether it's coincidence or effective, who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom