glyndawn

Car
mercedes c180
7B0536C7-48DF-4897-9D28-2B2862BE4D19.jpeg

W1ghty

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320cdi and CLK200
Probably going to be wire brush and new paint , but try a strong wheel cleaner and apc (all purpose cleaner) first .

mercmancdi

Car
mercedes E320 cdi sport ,vw Tiguan R line , M B cls , bmw convertible
I done mine with a we wire brush fitted in my drill to remove the rough and finished off with very course sand paper etc. Not hard to do just wear a mask if using the brush on the drill and don’t hit any wires or pipes with it.

breeze247

Car
CLK
I have exactly the same issue on a W213 with the Sport calipers / the same finish as yours. They are almost designed to look bad after a few years. Chipsaway guy suggested painting them.

Let us know how you get on.

V6GBJ

Car
SL400 R231, GLE 350d W166
A clean up as above
I have exactly the same issue on a W213 with the Sport calipers / the same finish as yours. They are almost designed to look bad after a few years. Chipsaway guy suggested painting them.

Let us know how you get on.
A clean up as above and then a coat of Hammerite silver then makes them easier to clean in the future.

AndrewOl

Car
E350 A207
Caliper paint works well. It is thin enough for the engraved bit to still look nice. Prep is standard stuff, bit of a rub down and a bit of a spray. It is available in some funky colours too if that’s your thing. Will last a couple of years depending on how hard you clean them. This won’t give you the enamel look of the fancy AMG ones but will smarten them up no end.

SmartAmg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 E class coupe 350 cdi
Halfords Engine paint, not there Caliper paint, is much better, it's thicker goes on well, 2 coats should be enough. :) 👍

breeze247

Car
CLK
Update from me on this. The car belongs to my wife and normally I wash it using a number of different products (including fallout remover) and two buckets.

Recently she had the car cleaned by a serviced car wash and the calipers came back looking much, much better. I think it is because they used a pressure washer directed at the calipers.

Although I am not keen at all on that kind of wash, I do wonder whether once every few months would be the worst thing in the world. Not keen on buying a pressure washer.

breeze247

Car
CLK
I took the car back to the same car wash and got a further improvement on the improvement before. I’d definitely recommend pressure washing.

I think the issue is that the surface of the caliper is not smooth but instead is lightly pitted, maybe even porous.

Washing with a sponge doesn’t get into the pits and a conventional wash brush will never be stiff enough. For me at least, pressure washing is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom