Brake Caliper pins stuck - E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rawhide

Car
2 x 2004 S211 320 CDI
Hi, I've been trying to do the front brake disks and pads on my E55. I've done this job on many cars before but I've been beaten by the caliper pins. I've been hitting them with a drift but they seem corroded on the inside.

I was hitting with a drift but the pin heads are starting to deform. I don't want to use heat as the calipers are painted.

Are there any tips here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just used a Punch and a Hammer, Then Copper slipped them on re assembly

Thanks - I've ordered a new set of drifts. I'm also thinking I'll order some pins as I really don't want to have to refit these ones. I've seen a post saying Eurocarparts sell these but I can't find any. Anyone have a link to a pin set?

Thanks - I've ordered a new set of drifts. I'm also thinking I'll order some pins as I really don't want to have to refit these ones. I've seen a post saying Eurocarparts sell these but I can't find any. Anyone have a link to a pin set?

I got them from mercedes, can't remember how much but weren't expensive

Soak the rear of the pin with wd40, it's this part that will be seized.

I usually get the widest punch that fits and hit it with a large hammer to move the pin.

Tried all of the above. Ended up using a small cutting wheel in a grinder and parting them off either side of the pads. Pull out the pads and the cut-off pins and the remnants drift out easily from the callipers.

+1 on Auto-mobile's advice.
Use a lump hammer if you have one, or the largest hammer you can get.
Make sure you have the drift in line with the pin and hit it square on.
The shock from the large mass will shift 99% of them.

If you are unfortunate, like Druk, then cutting them is the only option.

Did Mine 2 weeks ago, what a pain, I put an Engineers hammer against the pin & hit that a few times with a Lump hammer. It deformed but I had new ones, I managed to break 2 needle punches. refitted with copper grease & Jobs a goodun'
Ridiculous putting iron/steel into Alloy...

Tried all of the above. Ended up using a small cutting wheel in a grinder and parting them off either side of the pads. Pull out the pads and the cut-off pins and the remnants drift out easily from the callipers.

When bashing out hasnt worked the above has, combination of angle grinder/dremel/hacksaw blade should get it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom