Brake caliper refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeJV

SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes C63 AMG editon 507
Hi all,
I picked up My C63 507 a few weeks ago, On close inspection I noticed that the lacquer was peeling on all the calipers, I assume its due to age and careless technicians changing the brake fluid and not cleaning them off properly!!!
So today I spent 10hrs cleaning and refurbing them, I took off all the peeling lacquer, re sprayed and sealed them, they now look like brand new again!

Sorry for the incorrect axle stands, they were just a secondary precaution, I did have a proper Jack and Chocks.

thumbnail_WP_20190602_10_57_46_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20190602_10_12_45_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20190602_12_10_58_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20190602_15_42_04_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20190602_15_42_18_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20190602_15_42_23_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20190602_15_44_42_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20190602_15_45_22_Pro.jpg

Still have a few things to do yet, the car goes into a body shop in a few weeks time to have some stone chips sorted that had been badly repaired, then the new side decals can go on.
And then back to her full glory.

Hi all,
I picked up My C63 507 a few weeks ago, On close inspection I noticed that the lacquer was peeling on all the calipers, I assume its due to age and careless technicians changing the brake fluid and not cleaning them off properly!!!
So today I spent 10hrs cleaning and refurbing them, I took off all the peeling lacquer, re sprayed and sealed them, they now look like brand new again!

Sorry for the incorrect axle stands, they were just a secondary precaution, I did have a proper Jack and Chocks.

View attachment 86599 View attachment 86600 View attachment 86601 View attachment 86602 View attachment 86603 View attachment 86604 View attachment 86605 View attachment 86606
Hi, Mine are exactly like yours were!,both the hubs and callipers look really good now. Was it easy to take the callipers off?.
What paint did you use please?
Regards
Paul

Hello Paul.

The calipers were only peeling on the faces, I think this was due to brake fluid changes etc where the excess fluid had not been removed properly and after a time it will attack and breakdown the clearcoat.
I didn't need to remove the calipers, Just clean them off with a microfibre cloth, then remove the loose lacquer using a red scotchbrite pad, once you have all the peeling lacquer removed, use a grey fine grade scotchbrite pad to smooth the surface, then clean the area with some panel wipe to remove any grease or oil.
Once dry, spray a fine coat of XHT clear lacquer on the caliper, leave it to cure of 10mins until a little tacky then apply the next coat and repeat the process until you have at least 3 even coats on.
If you have a Heat gun you can use this to help the curing time, and pre heat the caliper before putting the first coat on, it will also help to break down any grease on the caliper that you may have missed when cleaning them.

As for the hubs, just use some wire wool, or scotchbrite to remove and surface rust etc, then spray on some VHT paint in the same way that you did the calipers.

If you mask up the main part of the discs then you don't have the worry of getting any paint on them, but if you do, I can easily be removed with emery paper.

Hope that helps
Happy painting

Hello Paul.

The calipers were only peeling on the faces, I think this was due to brake fluid changes etc where the excess fluid had not been removed properly and after a time it will attack and breakdown the clearcoat.
I didn't need to remove the calipers, Just clean them off with a microfibre cloth, then remove the loose lacquer using a red scotchbrite pad, once you have all the peeling lacquer removed, use a grey fine grade scotchbrite pad to smooth the surface, then clean the area with some panel wipe to remove any grease or oil.
Once dry, spray a fine coat of XHT clear lacquer on the caliper, leave it to cure of 10mins until a little tacky then apply the next coat and repeat the process until you have at least 3 even coats on.
If you have a Heat gun you can use this to help the curing time, and pre heat the caliper before putting the first coat on, it will also help to break down any grease on the caliper that you may have missed when cleaning them.

As for the hubs, just use some wire wool, or scotchbrite to remove and surface rust etc, then spray on some VHT paint in the same way that you did the calipers.

If you mask up the main part of the discs then you don't have the worry of getting any paint on them, but if you do, I can easily be removed with emery paper.

Hope that helps
Happy painting
Thanks for that Lee....much appreciated.
Regards
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom