Brake Cleaner problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moj'91

Car
W204 C250 CDi Estate Sport
Hey all - ive been using Polygard brake cleaner solvent for years, no issues, performs well, doesnt make me ill etc.

Recently bought some Mannol brand brake cleaner and it has ruined my trusty Wurth pressure sprayer over night - the viton o rings/seals are all swollen.

Anyone know whats going on? Have the requirements/make up of brake cleaners been changed recently? It also gave me a headache pretty quickly despite being used outdoors... or are there different types? Maybe a question for the mechanics out there.. thanks!

Hey all - ive been using Polygard brake cleaner solvent for years, no issues, performs well, doesnt make me ill etc.

Recently bought some Mannol brand brake cleaner and it has ruined my trusty Wurth pressure sprayer over night - the viton o rings/seals are all swollen.

Anyone know whats going on? Have the requirements/make up of brake cleaners been changed recently? It also gave me a headache pretty quickly despite being used outdoors... or are there different types? Maybe a question for the mechanics out there.. thanks!
Did you look at the contents label and compared the chemical make up?

Petrol based fluid will rot out the O ring seals .if left in the container, I recon it was the first type of fluid that did this I will only use the spray can type brake cleaner for this reason .

Are there petrol based brake cleaners? Can they be used on brakes with rubber seals? My old Haynes (and Esso) manuals always had dire warnings about not allowing petrol to come into contact with brake components.

Well i dont use it .All the points at the top , and bottom of the caliper that slide , will get flushed off rubber will perish in no time at all . No cleaner that is petrol based is safe to use on rubber items.

Well i dont use it .All the points at the top , and bottom of the caliper that slide , will get flushed off rubber will perish in no time at all . No cleaner that is petrol based is safe to use on rubber items.
They are not petrol based.

They do contain mixes of Hydrocarbon compounds

I did say not to use [ any ] petrol based brake cleaner .But what ever cleaner it is, it will still remove any lube used on the brake pad contact points in doing so they will stick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom