Brake Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S400RST

Car
W202 C200 Esprit 5dr Auto ('98)
Got a 202 and never been impressed with the brakes. Rather than going for aftermarket set-up's id rather go for MB brakes, perhaps from a 203 or E-Class - anybody know if I can Just swap the calipers, disks and pads or if theres more stuff that needs done?

What's the current state of the brakes that are on your car?

Ie, hoses/discs/pads/calipers, when was the fluid last bled/replaced etc.

To be honest, many people condemn brake set ups simply because they're due an overhaul - drive almost any brand new car and you'll be impressed at how sharp the brakes feel.

Upgraded brakes are often fitted when in reality they're often for little more than bragging rights and cosmetic appeal - which is fine obviously :)

Unless you're tracking your car or something I'd be surprised if they got so hot that they don't allow proper braking performance.

For the cost of a bottle of brake fluid and new hoses, I'd probably start with that.

Will

Thanks for the quick reply!

The condition is pretty good as far as im aware, new fluid and pads 6/7,000 miles ago. I might change the fluid and hoses, might even just go for braided hoses for not alot more money!

I have noticed though that if coming off the motorway slip road (maybe going slightly faster than 70mph mind you) that I get a shuddering and some bad fade.

Just adding to this thread, what brake discs are recommended as mine are due a change. I'm looking at EBC solid discs front and rear (are they vented?) or ATE discs from eurocarparts.....

I have noticed though that if coming off the motorway slip road (maybe going slightly faster than 70mph mind you) that I get a shuddering and some bad fade.

That sounds like the pads are about worn out and also maybe the disks are becoming contaminated with brake residue or a very slight possibility they are warped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom