Brake discs and Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rayaans

Car
C200
Right, so this has got me really confused.

My car is a 2015 (i.e. late) W204 C180 Coupe in "AMG Sport Edition" trim.

Just been looking for front brake disc and pad set, ideally wanting genuine parts. However, despite being AMG Sport Edition, the current brake discs are not perforated? They were changed by Mercedes (last owner had them done) so I presume they put on the correct discs/pads.

I've also managed to send my VIN to a Merc dealer on ebay who confirmed the perforated ones for the C220 CDI will fit according to the VIN.

Anyone enlighten me please?

Always been solid rear, perforated front I think on the sport models

Yes, my understanding also.

Having said that, Ive taken a look at the Mercedes used site, as well as Autotrader. The "AMG Sport Edition" models seem to all have solid front too. Checked out some older Sport versions and they appear to have different front calipers and perforated discs.

My calipers (bar the black paint) and brake discs are like this:
7b28eec96add45a786af5addb39cbeac.jpg

this seems to be a car with my calipers and perforated discs
670513e555de4edda0feee4cee769bfe.jpg

and this is an older one with completely different calipers
dec9711a5fe044ff93635d4a9b846905.jpg

Theres 2 different calipers and sets of pads. You can fit any of the discs think the size is 295 mm.

My discs are about dead. Are the drilled ones of any better use over standard discs ?

I wonder if it's the case that some (all?) of the 'AMG sport trim' models don't have drilled discs, is it now more of a trim level rather than the older 'Sport' models, which often had different suspension settings and sometimes bigger wheels as well. My recollection was that the older "Sport' models had drilled discs.

Is AMG Sport Line akin to BMW'S M-line models, which are not 'proper' M - cars.

The dealer should be able to identify the correct discs from the VIN.

Some of the older Sport package models did indeed have larger diameter drilled discs and different calipers at the front which also required bigger diameter wheels to affect caliper clearance iirc. Not sure just how much improvement in everyday motoring would be gained from increased diameter or different disc face treatment alone but if accompanied by bigger / multipiston calipers with pads utilising a greater pad contact area that would show a marked improvement in braking performance.

I suggest that you simply order the discs that are listed on EPC and OE for your car.

Here's an explanation of the advantages abd disadvantages of various disc face types:

How disc face types (slot / groove types) affect brake performance

My car is listed as amg sports package prem c. But has standard discs . Mileage is 65k and about 3mm of wear either side. Pads look fairly recent. Wondering now if the discs have been changed once before or the originals from new with that ammount of wear ?? The epc along with ecp and gsf list both standard and drilled 295 mm dia.

Last edited:
I would have thought drilled disc are largely cosmetic in everyday car applications. Unless the holes serve a function then they are just reducing the braking surface area and increasing wear on the pads. They do have a place on motorcycles where shifting water is much more of a problem.

I would have thought drilled disc are largely cosmetic in everyday car applications. Unless the holes serve a function then they are just reducing the braking surface area and increasing wear on the pads. They do have a place on motorcycles where shifting water is much more of a problem.
The main purpose of drilled discs is to reduce the unsprung weight, but yes this is insignificant on most road cars so the real-life effect is purely cosmetic.

When disc brakes are worked hard the pads give off a gas. The disc's are drilled to allow the gas to escape and reduce brake fade, this also aids cooling.

Cross drilled discs give a much better initial bite and on road cars where braking can be very intermittent (when compared with track cars) this initial bite on cold rotors is quite reassuring. Especially good at clearing water from the rotor face as well.

Interesting that on my hybrid, where a good 90% of braking is done by regeneration Lexus have seen fit to increase the size of the (solid) front rotors by 25mm on the new model (well, it's interesting to me ...)

Think im going to give the drilled discs a try. Will be at my local ecp very soon today... brembo discs and pad kit.

Think im going to give the drilled discs a try. Will be at my local ecp very soon today... brembo discs and pad kit.

Let me know how it goes. Whilst ECP is OK, for brakes Ive had issues with them in the past on a Hyundai I20. Brake discs were fine but the pads had to be ground down on both edges as they wouldn't fit properly. Are they much cheaper than OEM merc at £150 for the discs and pads?

My older C class Sport Edition has larger wheels with the larger disc set up which is Solid and not drilled with Brembo 4 pot calipers....maybe because it has the larger heavier faster V6 ?

Let me know how it goes. Whilst ECP is OK, for brakes Ive had issues with them in the past on a Hyundai I20. Brake discs were fine but the pads had to be ground down on both edges as they wouldn't fit properly. Are they much cheaper than OEM merc at £150 for the discs and pads?

bout £120 for brembo drilled discs and brembo pads. i rang the dealers , they want £225 .

Last edited:
My older C class Sport Edition has larger wheels with the larger disc set up which is Solid and not drilled with Brembo 4 pot calipers....maybe because it has the larger heavier faster V6 ?

you can also get this size in a drilled format if needed at ecp . with 344 mm diameter .

If the radius of the holes is less than the thickness of the disc's wear surfaces (ie, neglect central void in vented discs) then the area for heat loss is increased. That was the original reason for drilled discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom