Brake Discs problem mercedes w222

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems strange that everything was fine and then something happens after a long run.

I think the discs are warping

It's pretty rare to truly warp discs in this day and age, but easy to check as ToeKnee suggests. What is much more common now (and mistaken for it) is uneven pad transfer. It's exacerbated by automatic gearboxes and brake hold systems becoming more prevalent in everyday cars.

When you come to a stop and hold the car from creeping against the brakes, you create a "hotspot" on the disc which changes the friction coefficient, so you get patches of higher and lower braking force for the same applied pressure. Frequently it can be cured by giving the brakes a real pasting and then letting them cool down evenly (i.e. not holding on the brakes).

Borys,

Throughout this work has the brake fluid been replaced?

Skippy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can we blame callipers still?
Even thou on inspection pistons seems ok and the whole structure look sound
Pads do not stick fully to disc surface while braking, they “jump” causing disc warping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could this be an ABS related fault ?

Could the vibration simply be the brakes firing on and off rapidly ?

Could this be an ABS related fault ?

Could the vibration simply be the brakes firing on and off rapidly ?

That’s a possibility
In New Years will go that route
We know that mercedes has that feature when wipers are on ABS applies brakes to clean the rotors, just a bit or something like that
It may be a software issue

I'm having a similar problem but on a Vito 113!

Front discs and pads replaced 1200 miles ago, noticed when cold steering was tight to turn sometimes, seemed to have a mind of it's own, once warm was fine. Severe shudder on steering when braking! Thought my wheels were loose! stopped to check wheels and noticed drivers side front was smelling and hot! Then brake ware warning came on! I'm thinking I have a sticky caliper?

Ronnie

My indi is fitting new front Brembo disc's and Textar pads for me tomorrow. I hope I don't get any vibration problems after a few thousand miles :(

To me Doodles post #22 above seems a likely explanation. Vibration is not being caused by warped discs but by variations in the friction coefficient as the disc rotates.

I think I got to bottom of this
Correct me if I’m thinking wrong
I was sold brake disc/rotor with part number A2224215100 and second time A2224215100
Was going through catalog and it says these are vented discs for sport package. Read a bit more and these, looks like they’re compatible with calipers A2224215298
Which cars with amg kit are equipped

Now my SE standard diesel banger got caliper number A2224215098 and that goes with disc A2224200272 or A2224200172 which are bonded discs !!!

How dumb mercedes parts assistants can be? Selling wrong parts

Vented or bonded disc - think it makes a difference right?

What do you guys think?

I think I got to bottom of this
Correct me if I’m thinking wrong
I was sold brake disc/rotor with part number A2224215100 and second time A2224215100
Was going through catalog and it says these are vented discs for sport package. Read a bit more and these, looks like they’re compatible with calipers A2224215298
Which cars with amg kit are equipped

Now my SE standard diesel banger got caliper number A2224215098 and that goes with disc A2224200272 or A2224200172 which are bonded discs !!!

How dumb mercedes parts assistants can be? Selling wrong parts

Vented or bonded disc - think it makes a difference right?

What do you guys think?

I have the same issue with my CLS320. I am on the 3rd set of discs and still warping after 4000 miles or so.
I got the parts first time after market and the 3rd time from Mercedes and still have the issue.
Checking for errors it looks like the computer recorded some ABS problems and want to check the SBC pump and see if it works properly.
After braking the SBC pump make a big noise redoing the pressure in the system.

if you try something else please let me know.

Sure
Only thing we are going to do rgds abs is check for software updates as I’ve got no faults recorded
Will update accordingly

Had exactly the same problem with my W203 a couple of years ago (larger calipers with 2 x pistons). 3 sets of discs with each set lasting about 1000 miles. Suspension, hubs, etc. checked but turned out it was a sticking piston in the caliper. Calipers were checked but it wasn't obvious however the piston was sticking just enough to give an unequal braking force hence discs wearing unevenly. I was tearing my hair out but a new caliper solved the problem.

As I do really want to keep the car went to extreme and upgraded brakes to sport ones from cars fitted with amg kit

Discs went up from 370mm to 390mm, bigger callipers

Straight forward swap, took not even 2 hrs

Result is stunning, finally all working as it should

Interesting conversation I had with merc tech who said that newer mercedes e classes, c classes are having a huge brakes problem. Apparently they keep coming back under warranty with shudder under braking. Only standard trim models thou

Personally I believe smaller floating disc design do have a problem. Where they are pressed together, with heat and braking force, area is literally coming apart which causes vibration.

Sport brakes and Amg’s are reinforced discs, problem does not exist

I may be wrong thou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom