Brake Discs problem mercedes w222

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borys

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 cl500
Time came for my front brakes
Ordered genuine parts, within 1000miles noticed vibration at steering wheel while braking, mercedes issued another set
This time within 700 miles vibrations returned
Part number for discs was A2224215000
Loosing my mind a bit with this one
Did a bit of digging and found another part numbers for discs in question A 222 420 01 72, A2224215100, A2224200272
Hoped MB dealer will provide suitable part for my car
Vin is WDD2220322A037836
Could someone advise?
Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Parts catalogue using your chassis number, front disks are A222 420 01 72 and must be replaced in pairs.

R

Thank you
Looks like got wrong discs on the car then

Make sure the hub/disc mating surfaces are scrupulously clean before fitting. Slightest bit of muck or rust will throw the disc out of true, eventually causing vibration under braking.

Borys Can i ask who the dealers isw that fitted your discs . Working on yourr vin number misups like this should never happen..

Make sure the hub/disc mating surfaces are scrupulously clean before fitting. Slightest bit of muck or rust will throw the disc out of true, eventually causing vibration under braking.

That was all done when fitted second time by my indy, was with him at the workshop.
It started vibrating after 700 miles

Borys Can i ask who the dealers isw that fitted your discs . Working on yourr vin number misups like this should never happen..

First time it was fitted abroad by MB dealer in Poland. Trip by to UK vibration started
Second set supplied by MB NewCastle-same part number ending 5000
Fitted by my indy as mentioned - 700 miles vibration came back

I did ask today supplying dealer if part numbers got something to do with it. They replied

Hi,

The part number A2224200172 is superseeded by A2224215000, The one we have supplied is the new version of your discs as the do not make this part number A2224200172 anymore.

Regards

I think maybe you have other problems that cause this . You can rule this disc out . Mercedes make lots of changes over the years , but the item dimensions never change as far as brake discs go. And if they did other parts that marry up to them would not work together.

Yes you probably right
Need to investigate further

To refresh this tread maybe some wisdom from fellow members will help
Today car started to vibrate while braking again, this is after trip to Brugge and back
So far we went through 3 sets of discs and pads, new front wheel hubs with bearings, whole front suspension is new
At this point I’m starting to loose my mind on this

Sticky calliper ???

I had this issue on my Vauxhall Omega some years back, sadly never got to figure it out.

Vibration felt through steering wheel when braking.

Changed front discs and pads, and also fitted new wheel hubs and bearings at the same time. Used new caliper bolts. I fitted everything myself and was very thorough in terms of cleaning parts and tightening to torque etc. Initially all was fine, but the problem came back two months later.

The possible causes I was looking at at the time were failed suspension component (I bought two new wishbones but never got around to fitting them before trading-in the car), or issue with the rear brakes.

Good luck with sorting it out.

We checked that, piston moves nice and free

Each time it takes around 1000 miles for the problem to come back, after fitting new discs and pads
Each time after longer trip around 500 miles

After the number of disc/pad changes and other work you have done, I'd call it day and either p/x the car or replace the discs/pads again and sell it before the problem returns.

Not the answer you want to hear, but that would be my route.

After the number of disc/pad changes and other work you have done, I'd call it day and either p/x the car or replace the discs/pads again and sell it before the problem returns.

Not the answer you want to hear, but that would be my route.

Thinking exactly the same thing

Don't sell it just yet,I am about to try and solve a very similar problem,like you have changed discs and pads,like you the problem goes away,I will try something different in the next couple of weeks,I will return :)

Can you get/borrow a dial gauge and check the disk run out? If it is still true then pointless changing them again (try cold and hot after a run if possible). That might help eliminate one aspect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom