Brake dust - is this normal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freak

Car
C63S Coupe
Hi all,

I've had my C63S since the end of March, I've managed to cover around 1700 miles. Last weekend it was my best friends daughters wedding up at St Andrews, so I spent a good few hours over a couple of days cleaning, polishing, waxing etc etc for the 600 mile round trip.

When I got home the rear wheels were covered in brake dust, caked in a bronze dust. I've read that the rear wheels do generate quite a bit of dust (not sure why), but given probably 500 of the 600 miles were motorway I didn't use the brakes that much.

Is this normal?

Rear brakes doesn't brake that hard like fronts do.
There should only be a thin layer of dust on rear rims.
My car is 23 years old I still haven't replaced pads on rear brakes since it was factory new.

Fronts are baked in brake dust, they need to be cleaned thoroughly
If you buy aftermarket sport pads some brands show a thin layer of dust compared to OE brake pads.

Believe its normal, in that my rims are always covered in brake dust. I try and clean them once a week, just to keep on top, otherwise I find it bakes onto the alloy, forming clumps that can scratch.

Adaptive cruise control with auto speed hill descent also causes a fair amount of brake dust.

I have the eco alloys, I'm aware of the irony there, and they have very narrow gaps, making a decent clean difficult. I like them, but I have stubbed and hurt my hands several times and got various failed cleaning contraptions I've created stuck.

Keeping the silver ring (part of the hub?) behind the alloy clean and blemish free is a challenge in itself. A fellow member here said I'd lose that battle... and they're almost right.

@noogieman you're missing the fact that on a powerful RWD car the rear brakes are kept busy through traction control, so yes it's probably normal.

Reactions: BJC
@BJC I'd be swapping those wheels for a different design unless you love them. The first thing I thought when I saw them was they look like a nightmare to clean...

Reactions: BJC
Adaptive cruise is probably the culprit here then in my case, sitting on the motorway for 6 hours plus each way I utilised this as much as possible

Sounds like it's overly sensitive and touching the brakes to maintain the distance very precisely. Personally I'd rather spec a car with standard cruise control and then drive it myself in conditions where speed varies.

I don't have adaptive cruise, but with genuine MB pads I literally do 5 miles after a clean and the wheels are getting noticeably dirty from brake dust. I'm going to try ATE ceramic pads for this reason.

@noogieman you're missing the fact that on a powerful RWD car the rear brakes are kept busy through traction control, so yes it's probably normal.

I too have a powerful car. :thumb::thumb:
My rear brakes haven't worn out yet.

My car is 23 years old I still haven't replaced pads on rear brakes since it was factory new.
😳 wow!

Obviously depends how you drive it and if you're on the same pads 23 years later then clearly you're in the leisurely camp.

I’ve just ordered ATE ceramics for the very same reason.
It’ll be interesting to see if we get the result we’re hoping for
I don't have adaptive cruise, but with genuine MB pads I literally do 5 miles after a clean and the wheels are getting noticeably dirty from brake dust. I'm going to try ATE ceramic pads for this reason.

Obviously depends how you drive it and if you're on the same pads 23 years later then clearly you're in the leisurely camp.
I don't even have a deep outer lip on rear discs.
Pad wear is very low.
Can still use them for many years ahead

@BJC I'd be swapping those wheels for a different design unless you love them. The first thing I thought when I saw them was they look like a nightmare to clean...
They're just a PITA, I've tried detailing forums and devices to sort it. Just means I have to spend more time cleaning the than others.
Sounds like it's overly sensitive and touching the brakes to maintain the distance very precisely. Personally I'd rather spec a car with standard cruise control and then drive it myself in conditions where speed varies.
Mine is like that, in that should a car pull in front of you and not speed off quick enough, it touches the brakes. Sometimes it can be a touch too late and have to apply the breaks harder than I'd like. It all depends upon road conditions, the road itself and how other drives behave themselves.

It's not something I use on a regular basis, but its great on long motorway journeys or smart motorways where there's an average speed limit.

It's the same with the lane assist, where the car thinks I'm going to drift off the road, but it's just a tarmac join - that too sharply applies the brakes.

Technology, eh!

I'm a generation behind in a 204 but I find normal cruise control is great where you have the space, especially long distance in France.

For the UK in average speed limit areas I use the speed limiting function. Means I can just ebb and flow with the accelerator as normal (second nature) without worrying about watching the speedo and going too fast. No false alarms and it's clever enough to use the brakes downhill (rarely needed with 6.2l of engine braking) and to pull acceleration to prevent overshooting.

I’ve just ordered ATE ceramics for the very same reason.
It’ll be interesting to see if we get the result we’re hoping for
Where did you order the ATE ceramic pads from?

I'm fed up of the brake dust on my rears!!

I used Autodoc as well. I'll pick up from post office on Monday, so I'll see if VAT etc already paid, which I understand it should have been.

I used Autodoc as well. I'll pick up from post office on Monday, so I'll see if VAT etc already paid, which I understand it should have been.
Mine are here, they were at straight cost plus delivery as long as your order total is under £135

They don't seem to do them for mine? W205 C63 saloon....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom