Brake dusts on alloys - loads of it..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulfoel

I always seem to get loads of brake dust / general crap on mainly my front alloys. Not so bad on the back....

I used Wonder Wheels from Halfords which seems to get most of it off. I find that some of the other wheel cleaners don't touch baked on brake dust.....

In fact, seeing the stuff it gets off my wheels, I would'nt like to leave Wonder Wheels on my skin for too long !!!

Anybody, got anything better or as good?

Since I've had new pads (MB OEM) installed at the beginning of last month, I've noticed that they produce far more brake dust than the old pads i had in there.

Anyone had the same experience?

Use a wax on your wheels to protect them the same as your paintwork and it will be easier to remove.

Different pads have different hardness, these days all pads whether genuine parts or not should be made to the same standards. Always look for the R90 standard, if they are are not approved don't use them.

EBC do a pad that claims not to produce dust, these pads are very hard and will eat your discs, cheaper to buy genuine pads that will last two sets of discs and put up with the dust.

Brake dust is not just dust, it is a complicated cocktail of gases, resins and friction material that bond onto the wheels.

Autoglym engine cleaner/degreaser works really well on wheels. It's far less aggressive than Wonder Wheels but seems to do teh job nicely. Just spray on, wait a few minutes, and wash off using a sponge or brush (i.e. it won't just hose off).

I use Wonder Wheels once ever 2-3 months and then wax them. Then ever week just wash them off. I don t think its good for the wheels WW everytime.

Cheers
Ian

This dust will only stick to more dust so you have to take some time and clean it off inside and out, easier if you take the wheels off.
Once the wheels are clean and dry apply several coats of polish. When washing the car use water to loosen the dust and then it will wash off with normal wash.

Car wash machines just take the polish off.

Please take care though or you will become obsessed ...........

"Car wash machines just take the polish off."

and 'can' strip off the body laquer too!

Audi dealer took my car thru a mechanical car wash and denied all :mad:

I find the brake dust just wipes off if you wash regularly like once a week. It only tends to cake on if left for a while.

As suggested waxing your alloys helps a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom