Brake fluid change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Anyone skip the 2 yr Brake fluid change by using a brake fluid tester instead?
Car is out of warranty.
Does the main dealer bleed brakes after fluid change of do they just remove from top and refill?

I always thought that brake fluid testing is pointless, because you're testing the fluid in the reservoir, not in the calipers. Brake fluid doesn't circulate... which is why it needs to be replaced.

I have missed a number of brake fluid changes but the fluid is still good. I do plan on changing the fluid this year as it is way overdue.

My car was in MB about 2 years ago and the fluid tested fine.

I have always changed brake fluid properly by bleeding, however just replacing the fluid in the reservoir might have some benefit and be marginally better than doing nothing. I think moisture in any part of the system will migrate throughout the system until it's equal everywhere so fresh fluid in the reservoir will lower the overall moisture content in the system, Owners of manual gearbox cars perhaps rely on this as the brake fluid reservoir is common to the hydraulically actuated clutch.

I am sure a dealership would do it properly. I got mine done on schedule and will continue to get it done every 2 years. I could do it myself but my local dealer is competitive with fixed price servicing + some other items too.

I am sure a dealership would do it properly. I got mine done on schedule and will continue to get it done every 2 years. I could do it myself but my local dealer is competitive with fixed price servicing + some other items too.
I didn't know Mercedes did fix prices servicing

It will “probably” be fine, especially if you test it. Personally I wouldn’t, I’d get it changed.

If your car is financed (with the car as security) or if you have an after market warranty, then you may find it’s in the T&Cs that you service in line with the manufacturers schedule.

You can test the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir for moisture content, but most people won't be able to test the condition of the corrosion inhibitors or Ph regulators.

What happens to the fluid in the ABS valve is the real question and I wonder if many diy brake fluid changers address this issue and how they go about it I don't have a scan tool that will do it but I do make a point of forcing the ABS system into operation by braking on low friction surfaces.

I'd be a big fan of replacing all fluids as per manufacturer's recommendations. For brake fluid, its 2 years I think. One of the family cars a Skoda Superb needs brake pad replacement at the moment, and while I'm at it, I'll change the brake fluid too. While a have a suction pump ( which I'll use to empty the reservoir, and get the ball rolling) I have the iCarsoft CR PRO, but I'm not sure how to use it for changing the fluid, so instead I'll use the two man method for the actual changing, while the engine is running. That should ensure that ALL the fluid is changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom