brake fluid top up

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by OK11, Feb 12, 2020.

1. OK11

OK11 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes
    Hello,

Please can someone advise?

I have been told by a garage that my brake fluid is low, although there is no warning light on the system. I drive a B Class 2018 model, so it is still under warranty.
    The garage is quoting a lot of money which seems very unreasonable. In order to maintain the warranty and benefit from the Roadside Assistance programme do I need to get the brake fluid topped up by a garage which used original parts?

The brake fluid is not replenished at service - so is it necessary to use only mercedes approved brake fluid or can a local cheaper garage do it for the warranty and roadside assistance to be preserved?

Thank you.

2. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

If your brake fluid is low, check your pads as the level drops when the pads wear out and the caliper piston has to travel further to grab the disc. Once you replace your pads with fresh pads, you'll push the caliper pistons will be pushed back and the brake fluid level will rise up.
    Look on the lid of the brake fluid reservoir and it will tell you what type of fluid to use (something like DOT 4 will be written on the cap).
    There's no sense in topping up if your pads are worn as it will spill out once you replace them.

Good luck.

3. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Because brake fluid is hygroscopic= absorbs water Mercedes recommend its replaced every 2 years or 20,000 miles. To replace all the fluid in modern braking systems involves hooking up the system to an automated bleeding system to make sure all the old fluid is removed. There is a labour cost for this which bumps up the price. Perhaps they have failed to explain this to you?
    quote--"I drive a B Class 2018 model"= 2years old
    How often should the brake fluid in my Mercedes-Benz be changed?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Justintyme likes this.
  4. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Ask your main dealer to check and top up if necessary, I would be amazed if they say they would charge charge you. When is the second service due, or when will it become 2 years old?

On the second service the fluid should be changed. I have a different ?Mercedes but the cost of fluid replacement would probably be similar. I think it cost around £70-80 at full price, but I usually receive a discount which brings that down a bit.

5. John N

John N Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
    Car:
    E220D 4Matic P+
    Interesting Detail there, I picked mine up on 13 Mar 2019, it's done 20,207 Miles and the next Servicing is due in 10,811 Miles according to Mercedes Me! If there are no Warning Lights/Signs Etc, and my Dealership has never mentioned it on this and my last two MB's, how does the average Punter know about it???:dk::confused::rolleyes:

6. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I thought the brake fluid needed changing every 2 years regardless of mileage? Or have MB changed the service schedule recently?

7. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Think you need to find another dealer!

8. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    It will be due its first brake fluid change as its 2 years old so did they mean actually low or that it needs changing as per service schedule?

grober likes this.
  9. greenmanslk

greenmanslk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK
    If the fluid is low enough to warrant a top up I’d be worried about a leak.

John N likes this.
  10. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    Look at the fluid yourself, if it's between the min and max marks it's fine. If you need to top it up use any good brand low viscosity version of DOT 4 fluid. Usually labelled Dot 4 plus, DOT 4 super or similar.

But have it changed every 2 years.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020