Brake Hold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got 2016 Vito auto. When I ordered it I was looking forward to the 'hold' function that we have on an E220.

Gutted to discover that the Vito doesn't have a 'hold' function. Strange considering it's a relatively new model (W447). Surely wouldn't have been to big of an ask to include the feature on the auto box.

Ant.

I've got 2016 Vito auto. When I ordered it I was looking forward to the 'hold' function that we have on an E220.

Gutted to discover that the Vito doesn't have a 'hold' function. Strange considering it's a relatively new model (W447). Surely wouldn't have been to big of an ask to include the feature on the auto box.

Ant.

Got a V Class 220d demo from MB at the moment and it has the hold function....

You could have the worlds cleverest stopstart. I still detest it. I detest the fact you cannot completely disable it. Yet another choice taken away.

I like ECO mode and my engine stopping when I am not moving.

Makes sense really if I am not going anywhere - saves fuel and pollution whilst causing me zero inconvenience.

Thanks for clarifying that in detail knighterrant.

Mine doesn't always turn off and I knew it had certain conditions to meet before it would do it.

It certainly starts much more easily and less noticeably when it had shut itself off so I knew it wasn't just starting the engine like normal.

I find the cynical views quite interesting but not one I subscribe to.

First thing to do when you get in is to disable that!

Worst engineering concept for 50 years, the only beneficiary is MB. ( huge EU eco grant, massive expected future parts and service revenues. )

Bad points:-
1. Knackers battieries
2. Wears out starter motors and the gearing ring!
3. Huge increease in engine wear due to startup wear. ( constantly stopping the engine displaces the protective start up film of oil. )
4. Potentially distorts the crankshaft over time due to the off centre twisting.

Er remember the old instructions :- start the engine and move off swiftly but without excessive revs. More wear done at startup than driving for half an hour.

Almost as bad as that crazy idea of shutting off a few cylinders.

Is it 1965 again?
:D

Well good news I tried Brake Hold today and it worked, seem to be a light tap once stationary. Could seem to get it to work after that but I assume it a knack. Anyway thanks to everybody for the advice.

First thing to do when you get in is to disable that!

Worst engineering concept for 50 years, the only beneficiary is MB. ( huge EU eco grant, massive expected future parts and service revenues. )

Bad points:-
1. Knackers battieries
2. Wears out starter motors and the gearing ring!
3. Huge increease in engine wear due to startup wear. ( constantly stopping the engine displaces the protective start up film of oil. )
4. Potentially distorts the crankshaft over time due to the off centre twisting.

Er remember the old instructions :- start the engine and move off swiftly but without excessive revs. More wear done at startup than driving for half an hour.

Almost as bad as that crazy idea of shutting off a few cylinders.

I have some sympathy for this view but I wouldn't put it so strongly.

If you think that a starter motor and ring gear is not the way to engineer a stop/start engine then I would agree with you and so would MB. They are using it as a stop gap until the new engines with combined flywheel starter/alternators come on stream. A much more elegant solution but it will be an expensive repair should it go wrong.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class to get new V8 and inline 6cyl engines | Autocar

I had to push the brake hard intially on my brand new gle. Then my son told me that he give a short, sharp jab to the footbrake and not a lot of pressure required, brake holds and works for me. Others have said the same here, so rather than come to a stand and having to push really hard, stop and short, sharp jab does the trick, pdeal travel about an inch I think.

I've become so used to using the hold function on my C Class, I even tend to give the brake pedal a quick jab whenever I drive other cars without the feature and am momentarily surprised when it hasn't held.:eek:

I've become so used to using the hold function on my C Class, I even tend to give the brake pedal a quick jab whenever I drive other cars without the feature and am momentarily surprised when it hasn't held.:eek:

Hehe. Me too. Do this all the time. :crazy:

When a friend of mine got his brand new manual C-class (his first ever MB) he thought the Hold feature was the parking brake. He drove straight from the dealer to his work and wondered why his colleagues were looking out of the window and laughing when he walked into his office. His sparkling new car had slowly rolled across the car park! Fortunately it missed everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom