Brake Hold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barnowl1

Car
Honda
I have an E 350 cabriolet. Recently, the ‘BrakeHold’ feature ( foot on the pedal at traffic lights applies brakes until throttle activated), has stopped working. Well actually, it works sometimes, but spasmodically. I’ve tried applying the main brake, engine on / off in the hopes of resetting, but no joy. Des anyone know what the problem might be, or if there is a ‘reset’ procedure ? Can’t find anything in the handbook.
thnx.

I assume you are referring to the brake hold function activated by a second press on the pedal after the car is halted. It might be a problem with the brake pedal switch or whatever senses the second hydraulic pressure pulse, but frankly I doubt you will find out without proper diagnostics. There are a fair number of things that would cause it to disengage and so a faulty signal from any of them could prevent it operating I guess. I am not aware of any reset procedure.

Thank you for your reply. I tend to think it’s probably a ‘switch’ issue somewhere, maybe just a bad connection as occasionally it does kick in. Looks like it’s a job for service time.

We are talking about the same thing. It just depends on how you want to describe it. It is a second push with the brake already applied.

I have an E 350 cabriolet. Recently, the ‘BrakeHold’ feature ( foot on the pedal at traffic lights applies brakes until throttle activated), has stopped working. Well actually, it works sometimes, but spasmodically. I’ve tried applying the main brake, engine on / off in the hopes of resetting, but no joy. Des anyone know what the problem might be, or if there is a ‘reset’ procedure ? Can’t find anything in the handbook.
thnx.
What year is your car? Have you checked if you have an Aux Battery in your car?

I had this problem on my car, it turned out to be the bonnet open switch not disconnecting properly.
I adjusted it and the brake hold feature returned. I think the door switches also affect the brake hold feature.

HI, Did you ever solve this issue? Mine has started doing this.
I wondered if it threw up any fault codes? I don't want to start throwing money at it to get it diagnosed just yet so am hoping there is a quick fix?
I'll double check the bonnet switches :)

I wondered if it threw up any fault codes? I don't want to start throwing money at it to get it diagnosed just yet so am hoping there is a quick fix?
What about the brake stop switch that is under the steering column , £14 part that does need replacement at some point anyway

When the aux battery in my 2014 e class began to fail it caused this problem. a new auxiliary battery fixed it (along with the eco stop/start).

Thanks guys, I have already had a new aux battery :-(

I shall look more into the brake stop switch then, is that part of the brake hold system? These cars are so damn complicated its difficult to easily fault find, I don't have Star diagnosis equipment, only a cheap OBD bluetooth reader. I doubt that would show anything.

Don't really want to book it in anywhere if I can help it.
I may just have to live with it not working for now. But willing to try any suggestion of course.

Thanks

Yes, it appeared to be a battery issue. Battery failed a few weeks after this post. After fitting a new one the problem disappeared. The replaced battery was the original, 7 yrs old and I didn’t realise how sluggish on turnover it was till the new one was fitted.

mm food for thought, I know the battery is a bit week on mine, I think its the reason the eco stop start isnt working either. It cranks over and starts but the battery is definitely not putting out max cranking amps. The voltage when everything is off is around 11.8-12.1V and I think it should be more like 12.7..

I didn't know the brake hold could be affected by a poor battery though, I am learning... cheers for the replies..

mm food for thought, I know the battery is a bit week on mine, I think its the reason the eco stop start isnt working either. It cranks over and starts but the battery is definitely not putting out max cranking amps. The voltage when everything is off is around 11.8-12.1V and I think it should be more like 12.7..

I didn't know the brake hold could be affected by a poor battery though, I am learning... cheers for the replies..
11.8 is dead buddy :eek:

Dag nam it.. Just been out and measured the battery voltage, a splendid 11.89V...

New one ordered, just what I need before crimbo LOL... Mind, better to sort now than the car not start over the holiday period, if we ever get to go anywhere lol..

Let us know what one you get Tony , it's only a matter of time..12.1 V here but no issues .

Hope yours last the winter :)

I went for a powerline 110AGM 12V 80AH 800A Seems to be the right spec for a good price.

Reviews - Powerline 110AGM - Page 1 (tayna.co.uk)

Looks to be identical spec to the original in mine, original merc part number on mine is A0009822108. My cars 8 years old with 100K miles so guess its about right for a new one.

Hope yours last the winter :)

I went for a powerline 110AGM 12V 80AH 800A Seems to be the right spec for a good price.

Reviews - Powerline 110AGM - Page 1 (tayna.co.uk)

Looks to be identical spec to the original in mine, original merc part number on mine is A0009822108. My cars 8 years old with 100K miles so guess its about right for a new one.

Just dapped the Maypole on as it's recently colder , it first flashed 11.7V....

😬

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom