Brake issue 98 c280 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandwichmascara

Car
W202/s202 C280 estate 98
Hi guys

Right I’m having an issue with the brakes locking up seemingly random seems to be the fronts mostly but could be rears too but you feel the fronts first and hot when you touch the wheels and the rears are cold

So I have changed

Master cylinder - NEW
ABS pump unit - 2nd hand
brake lines all round - New
front callipers - Reconditioned
front disks (rotas) - 2nd hand but hardly used
brake pads all round - New

so moving on to the issue I will be driving (most the time) and then i can feel them sticking and i'll pull over and the pedal is solid. i will try turning the car on and off a few times and unplug the abs unit. after say 10-20 mins of either waiting or doing the above maybe faster it’s good to go. but they can either stick or be fine for the rest of the drive/Day.

but it’s not always when driving i was at my garage to drop off some bits and the car was left to idle for say 10-15mins and when I got in to drive off they was solid again?

I’ve been trying different things for a about a month now and nothing helps so I’m here to ask if anyone has ideas etc. to help as I really like the car and don't want to let her go for simple yet annoying hard to find problem.

any advice is helpful and if you crack the problem i'll send you a beer if possible.

Cheers Dan

I can't really help as the last time I had similar brake problems was on a '74 BMW!

Here's my 2p's worth. I'd be looking at the new master cylinder as the culprit but initially I'd have the system vacuum bleed first. Also check the servo operation. Next time the brakes stick disconnect the servo vacuum hose and see what happens.

Hi,
Had a car with a similar issues, brakes would randomly come on and wheels would lock up, turned out to be the Servo/master cylinder, I just replaced the entire assembly with one from a scrap yard.
As you have replaced the Master Cylinder then that leaves the Servo, though it looks like its the only bit of the braking system you haven't replaced.

HHa yeah just the way it goes but at least if this does fix it it's all new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom