Brake line replacement, DIY Yes or No

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
I have recently began restoring a W202 C43 and have carried out all the work myself, although I am no mechanic (am a spark) I am practically minded and not adverse to getting my hands dirty.
Its given me a great sense of achievement so far (sad I know), having replaced the springs, shocks, ball joints, discs, removed the calipers for a refurb and am going to drop the rear subframe to replace all the arms/bushes etc which is my next job.
So while the subframe is off, I thought it would be a good time to renew all the brake pipes, my question is, is this quite a straight forward job (with the correct tools of course) for a DIY er to tackle or best left to the experts??
Any tips/hints greatly appreciated.

(I am aware of kunifer tubing, flaring tools, joints etc)

Oh and yes I will be doing a build thread for the project at some point, as its mechanically sound, as is the interior, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for the bodywork. So rather than try to resolve the rust issues, I am replacing all the panels more or less for new OEM MB where I can. Have already bought 3 doors, both sills, boot lid, bonnet and 1 wing! Yes I must be mad, but I have started it and its grown arms and legs, so if a jobs worth doing, may as well do it right!

I've replaced sections of brake line before, so I say go for it! - It's not rocket science, and if you're sensible you can see if they are sealed and working correctly.

Been lots of years since I replaced brake pipes but as long as you get the right pipe and have the right tools I can see no reason you should have a problem,lets face it with the sub frame down and you taking your time rebuilding the car it has to be the correct time to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom