Brake Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

acwh

I have a one-year old C220d AMG Line Automatic. I have brake noise, particularly noisy when applying pressure at low speed. Noise when I select a gear and drive off. Noise when moving off with Auto Start/Stop on. Absolutely infuriating when driving in traffic a queue. Has been into dealership three times. They finally replaced disks and pads. It still makes a noise. Dealership insists that there is nothing wrong with the brakes and that the noise is what this Model does !!! They sat me in a similar vehicle and it made the same noise. They let me listen to another similar mode and it did the same. I find this unacceptable, but it seems I cannot pursue it any further. If this noise is prevalent on this model of car I cannot be the only one to be unhappy. My dealership states that "this is what it is" with this car and that I cannot pursue it any more. Any advice would be appreciated.

What kind of brake noise? - Could you take a video to show people what you mean?

Is it possible that the brakes just need to bed in? I wouldn't have thought so after a year, but you do now have new discs and pads.

What kind of brake noise? - Could you take a video to show people what you mean?

Is it possible that the brakes just need to bed in? I wouldn't have thought so after a year, but you do now have new discs and pads.
Thanks. The noise after new pads and discs is the same. I do have a recording of the noise, not easy to hear, I will post it later.

1. P
    Thanks. The noise after new pads and discs is the same. I do have a recording of the noise, not easy to hear, I will post it later.

Tried uploading video, unfortunately too large to handle. Will have a rethink on how to record noise

1. P
Tried uploading video, unfortunately too large to handle. Will have a rethink on how to record noise
Post it to a hosting site and link to it here.

does it sound like this ---- squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak !!! ??

does it sound like this ---- squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak !!! ??
Thanks. No it feels ans sounds as though the pads are not releasing from the disks. But I am in no way a mechanic. Albeit I am not naive and I had a 220 Bluetec Sport before that and it made no noise. This has 19” wheels as against 17”. When I went out with a technician he recognised that it was unusual.

Always difficult to give advise on a noise without being able to hear it,I am sure you will find a way of posting it,then we can play name that tune,I look forward to it.:cool:

i fitted bendix pads to my cls , ive taken them out twice and roughed them up and they are still squeaking . pita .
Thanks. No it feels ans sounds as though the pads are not releasing from the disks. But I am in no way a mechanic. Albeit I am not naive and I had a 220 Bluetec Sport before that and it made no noise. This has 19” wheels as against 17”. When I went out with a technician he recognised that it was unusual.

Is the sound in time with wheel speed . and what happens if you keep a light foot on the brake when the noise is heard ?

i fitted bendix pads to my cls , ive taken them out twice and roughed them up and they are still squeaking . pita .

Is the sound in time with wheel speed . and what happens if you keep a light foot on the brake when the noise is heard ?

Hello. The sound is in time with wheel speed and also more prominent when you keep a light foot on the brake, in traffic queues etc, not forgetting that the auto keeps moving. I have tried to upload a memo voice recording from my iPhone, but I cannot get it to upload. Not sure how I am going to let you hear the noise. Struggling.

I have the same car, it’s a few months old and does exactly the same noise, I have been told the same by two local dealerships! It’s booked back in next week, sure they will just try to fob me off again tho

I think u will find its actually the shoes squeeling and not the pads/disks. I had a customer end of last year who had his own merc in and out the dealers. I was scratching my head aswell. out of curiosity I slackened off the parking brake adjuster it went away. I re-tightened it and it came back. Then I took the disks off. There was aftermarket new cheapo non merc shoes fitted. I demonstrated to the customer and he happily paid me for my time. He then took it back to the dealer and miraculously after having his car for a whole day they sorted out the noise. I fitted cheapo shoes to my own few years ago and had the same result. Flippin loud coasting down a hill in traffic and pressing the brake and then again the noise would happen when i let my foot off the brake taking off at low speed. Cheapo shoes dont sit very snugly and almost always are NEVER adjusted properly. Something to think about and check out.

Thanks very much!! I will look into this!

I think u will find its actually the shoes squeeling and not the pads/disks. I had a customer end of last year who had his own merc in and out the dealers. I was scratching my head aswell. out of curiosity I slackened off the parking brake adjuster it went away. I re-tightened it and it came back. Then I took the disks off. There was aftermarket new cheapo non merc shoes fitted. I demonstrated to the customer and he happily paid me for my time. He then took it back to the dealer and miraculously after having his car for a whole day they sorted out the noise. I fitted cheapo shoes to my own few years ago and had the same result. Flippin loud coasting down a hill in traffic and pressing the brake and then again the noise would happen when i let my foot off the brake taking off at low speed. Cheapo shoes dont sit very snugly and almost always are NEVER adjusted properly. Something to think about and check out.

I am confused as to how the parking brake shoes could cause noise during normal braking when they are not in operation?

Listen so was I. Obviously something to do with heat/magnetism. I have no idea but Im just saying what I found myself. Some shoes have so much metal in them. It is most likely only coincidence the noise happens when braking. Try it out yourself at some point if you can. When the noise goes away, go scratch ur head like I did lol If people would stop actually questioning n saying stuff like OH THAT SHOULDNT HAPPEN BLAH BLAH BLAH . Yes I agree but this has been what I have found specifically on mercedes cars.i will probably have another one in at some point and Im going to make videos of this and of the procedures Ive done with the result after. Bizarre as it is. The squeek is gone by doing what I done so against any theorietical technical stuff that it shouldnt be or cant be. Sometimes things JUST ARE or JUST IS lol

I am confused as to how the parking brake shoes could cause noise during normal braking when they are not in operation?

then again the noise would happen when i let my foot off the brake taking off at low speed

You are right, my E it did this. Parking brake shoes adjusted and it went away.. weird

Most likely the quality of the shoes on a lot of new cars not just mercedes are extremely low quality. Some suppliers can stamp themselves as suppliers to dealerships. So yeah when the dealership has the parts they can pop them into mercedes plastic bags so they are then MERCEDES PARTS. Even Mercedes have to make profit and cut costs. Something as silly as cheap shoes is a prime candidate for making brake noise. This includes cars on the factory line brand new.

I would suggest this. adjust the parking brake tensioner ( inside the car ) slacken it off about 5-7 complete turns. Drive it for a few days. Then tighten it up 2 turns. Drive it for a few more days. tighten it up 1 turn. do this until the noise comes back then simply slacken off 1 turn and that will be you at your closest setting to having a fully working parking brake AND no squeel. One i worked on I had to also re-adjust at the shoes adjuster but that was 10 years old. With your car only 1 year old I reckon the adjustments I suggest above will work for you. Good luck. such an annoying thing especially in slow moving rush hour traffic in the mornings lol

Thanks very much!! I will look into this!

Listen so was I. Obviously something to do with heat/magnetism. I have no idea but Im just saying what I found myself. Some shoes have so much metal in them. It is most likely only coincidence the noise happens when braking. Try it out yourself at some point if you can. When the noise goes away, go scratch ur head like I did lol If people would stop actually questioning n saying stuff like OH THAT SHOULDNT HAPPEN BLAH BLAH BLAH . Yes I agree but this has been what I have found specifically on mercedes cars.i will probably have another one in at some point and Im going to make videos of this and of the procedures Ive done with the result after. Bizarre as it is. The squeek is gone by doing what I done so against any theorietical technical stuff that it shouldnt be or cant be. Sometimes things JUST ARE or JUST IS lol
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom