Brake pad fitting disaster!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiffy

Car
C220
Thanks to your previous answers about new pads, discs and fitting kits. I managed to complete one side of the car tiday, however, on the other side, both pins are stuck tight at the head end, I managed to cut off most of pin but have about 2-3mm sticking out!! Can I put a little bit of heat on this caliper to try and remove them??? As if this is not bad enough, they have sent the wrong caliper pins, they are quite short and are not tapered the same as the original ones!!! (see pic). Can I split the caliper easily using the torx bolts, does anyone have a diagram or do they just part easily enough so that I can get a pin punch directly over what is left of the pins???

Last edited:
i done mine today, took me most of the day to ge tthe fronts done.

soak the pin ends with a penetrating spray (wd40 etc) and get a proper long drift that fits into the hole and they will come out

I have a long (6 inch) brass drift, I am going to give that a try tomorrow. Is there any way I can split the caliper??

Chiffy said:
I have a long (6 inch) brass drift, I am going to give that a try tomorrow. Is there any way I can split the caliper??
the brass one won't work it only bend the drift as to be a steel one.:)

I think my only remaining option is to cut the pin flush with the caliper, using a dremel, then use a centre punch to try and get a decent strike at it!!

They do not always come out so easily. They can be a real pita

Could you use a G clamp or similar ? "Plain end" on what's left of the pin----- screw end on a suitable socket or nut = large enough to bear on the caliper body but with a large enough orifice for the pin to move through?

Last edited:
Could you use a G clamp or similar ? "Plain end" on what's left of the pin----- screw end on a suitable socket or nut = large enough to bear on the caliper body but with a large enough orifice for the pin to move through?

Tried that approach, and failed. I suspect the problem is an alloy housing, an iron pin and a spring steel fastener. It appears to corrode in a fairly nasty way. As you apply pressure the pins distort:(

Only other thing I can suggest is Coca Cola or Kurust = phosphoric acid will convert ferric oxide to soluble ferric phosphate and maybe free up the pin? Can't say what it will do to the caliper mind!

Do the pins look familiar to you??? They are definitely the wrong type.

New pins look like the correct ones to me.

As already said you need a steel drift, long enough to go through from the outer pin holes.

Last edited:
I use a piece of silver-steel rod for these jobs.
By the way - There are much-better penetrating oils than WD-40.
WD-40 will free a lot of things, but it is not primarily-designed as a penetrating oil.
It's a water-dispersant.

I use Unilease.
Plusgas is also very good

EDIT: Unilease appears to have been reborn as Melpass "Penetrate"

Last edited:
If they really dont want to go no choice but to drill out... This can take a long time and a lot of expensive drill bits... unless you know someone with some proper drilling equipment.

help

chiffy you have the right idea cut it off level, then get some silver steel must be hard then you can knock it out.Penetrating oil Rostoffice is brill if you can get hold of any .Also diesel is good ,saturate it and leave for a few hours.. Dont give up, as i know you will win.

Some penetrating oil, a long steel drift of the right diameter and a hammer have never let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom