Brake Pad Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210Virgin

Car
2002 S210 Avantgarde 320CDi in silver. Black leather interior
I'm changing my front and rear pads on Saturday and coincidentally have just had the wear sensor warning message on the dash today. Is there only a wear sensor on the fronts and is there anything else I need to know, such as special measures to push back the pistons?

Ta muchly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty straightforward to change pads on a W210. I use a G clamp to wind back the pistons after releasing the bleed nipple off a little. Take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir and ensure it never goes too low on fluid. Top up when finished.
Honestly can't remember if there was a sensor on the rear or not but you'll soon see when the wheel is removed. ECP sell them as well as the dealer if you are close to an outlet.

I just ordered a pair of front discs for mine from ECP. Brembo discs came in at £60 for the pair after using the discount code (expiring tonight). MB wanted around £60 per disc so I'm happy to use the Brembos.

I have a set of pads I purchased around 3 years ago but with my mileage coming down significantly, I still don't have the wear light in yet!

Hit and miss with the rear sensor, if there is one its on the driverside, I wouldn't open the bleed nipple when compressing the piston back though.

I wouldn't open the bleed nipple when compressing the piston back though.

Any reason for this? I have always done it:dk:
The alternative is to force the fluid back up to the reservoir and possibly have it overflow?

You risk letting air into the caliper and ending up with a spongy pedal, there is no need to open a bleed nipple, the reservoir will only overflow if it's been topped up unnecessarily, I use paper towel to soak up any extra likely to overflow.

I see your logic though, it's just that if someone is "attempting" pads possibly for the first time they might end up with a soft pedal.

^^ +1

I've never opened bleed nipples on any vehicle when replacing pads.
Check the reservoir fluid level and if it is above the maximum mark remove some with a turkey baster. Check level after doing one side.

Can't help with wear sensors, other than my W203 has only one per axle, both drivers side.

^^ same here never open the nipples whilst compressing the piston as it only makes it a real pain to bleed if air gets in. Remove fluid from the res if there is no room to take the excess

My W210 definitely didn't have sensors on the rear, will have to check the fronts.

try your reg number in here Brake Parts | BrakeParts.co.uk if listed they'll more than likely be fitted , the ecp website is pretty poor when it comes to listing brake sensors . they sell them for my car , pagid ones , what they don't tell you is pagid supply a complete caliper service kit with front brake pads . inc sensors , pad retaining clips , a caliper piston disc . they don't supply the rears though for some reason .... I never crack open nipples either , just push pistons back in slowly and keep tabs on the reservoir level , ive never had a reservoir overflow on me either tbf .

ps - http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop parts are also on ebay and at times cheaper .

Last edited:
I have also never opened the bleed nipples when replacing the brake pads. Remove the cap to the brake fluid reservoir and syphon off some brake fluid using (a clean) inkjet cartridge syringe to avoid spillage when winding back the brake pistons. Check the fluid level after winding back each side and syphon off more fluid if necessary.

You should top up to max level after completion of the job.

For easy of winding back the piston I would suggest investing in a brake separation tool. I have purchased one of these from eBay but have not had the chance to use it yet!

LASER TOOLS 5543 BRAKE PAD SPREAD TOOL SPREADER - ONE HAND OPERATION | eBay

I have always opened the bleed nipples. Thought that was the way to do it. Also used a G-clamp after giving up on trying to use a spreader. See the point about not opening the bleed nipples but did think that the pedal was a bit soft after replacing the pads but seems OK and it passed its MOT with no trouble. Still it seems sensible not to open them and that's the way I will do it next time as I have to do the rear.

Guess I'll not open the bleed nipples next time I do brake pads. I've learnt something useful today.

I used to not open them and never had a problem but I do open them now as it's easier to push pistons back as I like to push then in with my fingers. Only use a wind back tool on rears that require a wind back because they have hand brake mechanism in on some motors. Never had a problem either way you do it to be honest.

Thanks for the replies. Nothing untoward really by the sound of it. I never open nipples if I can avoid it. However I think I will invest in a piston tool as it can be a bit of a faff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a big pair of water pump pliers to compress the Pistons, so much easier than the expander tool, you can also use them for many other tasks.

Get a big pair of water pump pliers to compress the Pistons, so much easier than the expander tool, you can also use them for many other tasks.

All depends if you have painted calipers I suppose and don't want them damaged.

You don't even need a G cramp...they will push in easily with a little leverage against the disc...and no need to remove the caliper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom