Brake pad wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steveatki

my w211 c220 has now done 66k on the original brake pads. A recent service advised that the pads need changing as they are at 4mm front 3mm rear. Do I need to change yet or should I wait until a light comes on? Is there a light for rear brakes?
Also there was comment that the discs had slight lipping but were OK, would I be wise to change the disc at the same time as the pads?

In my opinion never wait until the light comes on as you run the chance of scoring the discs plus the fact that the efficiency of the braking is less.

Generally I have found that if the lip is very slight you are ok just to fit new pads, but if severe enough either replace or if the disc thickness is still within tollerance then you could have the disc skimmed.

I generally recon on changing discs with every other brake pad change especially on the front, but thats just me wanting the best braking performance I can get !

Changing discs with every other change of pads make sense, and I generally do that.

Unless you do high mileage then I would just wait until the warning light comes on personally. It's very common for pads to be highlighted during a services because:

1. There may not be enough friction material left to make it to the next scheduled service: "To save you the inconvenience of having to come back between services Sir/Madam".

2. It's easy money for a quiet workshop: "Brakes are an essential safety item Sir/Madam.

Sorry, 2007 w211 220 cdi

In my opinion never wait until the light comes on as you run the chance of scoring the discs plus the fact that the efficiency of the braking is less.

Generally I have found that if the lip is very slight you are ok just to fit new pads, but if severe enough either replace or if the disc thickness is still within tollerance then you could have the disc skimmed.

I generally recon on changing discs with every other brake pad change especially on the front, but thats just me wanting the best braking performance I can get !

^ Why not wait until the wear indicator illuminates after all thats why it's there & the sensor is fitted,it won't come on when the pads are below/on there limit so you will have a good few hundred miles before they need changing once the warning comes on,bobbys advice on 2xsets pads per disc change is what olli(Blackc55)recomended in a recent thread on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom