Brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kenny1000

Car
2013 E220 cdi auto Sport Coupe
Has anyone experience this before? My brake was feeling funny the last couple of days, so I thought it a caliper was sticking slightly. Took the front pads out to check and found the pad metal backing had separated from the pad itself. Slightly worrying:dk:

Change pads asap. What quality where they? OE or others?

As above- this shouldn't happen. Change the pads- use OEM or preferably genuine MB--- this will eliminate any future pad problems. Service the callipers at the same time- clean up the surfaces the pads slide on and check the piston/s and the guide pins are free and undistorted if its a sliding type caliper. Install the new pads-- use new wear contacts also--- and make sure the correct bearing/sliding backplate surfaces[ thats the edges of the backing plate rather than the back] are greased with MB brake grease or coppaslip but keep the pad friction surfaces clean.

Sadly I've had this happen with OEM brake pads too. Last service at Olly's he found the fronts were breaking up, and one of the rears separated completed from the backing - and these were proper MB pads.

I bought the car November last year and the pads were fitted by the garage as part of the MOT. The car is on Axle stands at the minute and new pads are on order. It is a reality check as I do 20,000 miles a year, mostly motorway driving for my job. I work on this car every week I am home to make sure it is ok, but this has really shaken me. At least I live to tell the tale. Get new pads tomorrow good clean and grease, then back on the road. Cheers for all the advice lads;)

I must say that what happened to the pads is definitely NOT normal. Perhaps brakes used in race track conditions may do weird things when overheating or after prolonged use, but falling to pieces is weird to say the least. I can understand you were shaken and I would be also if it happened to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom