Brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt58

Car
2003 E55 sedan
Happy new year to all. I've recently accuired a late 03 E55 saloon, going to be doing the rear brake pads in the next few weeks, I only use the car as a daily driver so what pads are the best, oe or I've read good things about Akebono? Also I plan on taking the calipers of for clean up, as the last rear end brake pad swap on my previous 03 RS6 turned into a nightmare and I ended up replacing both calipers. So my questions are what are your thoughts on pads, do I need and can I bleed rear brakes one at a time with the old two man method, after disconnecting sbc pump, as I haven't got star (had icarsoft down on chrimbo list but the wife got me a rucksack instead, I think she's trying to tell me something) and how much and where would I get new calipers if needed, got TRW ones for the Audi for £300 a pair but after struggling with hot wheels and on off hassle I was glad to pay it. I've also noticed I've got the Valeo rad, should I worry or get it changed when I change trans fluid in the spring? Sorry it's a bit long winded, but if anyone has any tips on the above I would be more than grateful. Cheers all Matt.

I don't know anyone in the UK that stocks Akebono brake pads. Imported from the US will incur customs duty.
EBC Redstuff pads are ceramic and well thought of. I have bought TRW low dust pads for my E63 from Autodoc at £64 a set for the fronts. To be honest, getting ceramic pads for the rear is hardly worthwhile considering most of the braking is through the front pads.
I'm unsure whether you can bleed the brakes on SBC vehicles without Star if you are removing the calipers.

E55 calipers are not cheap. Get a price from Bigg Red to have them refurbished. It will be far cheaper and they'll be like new.

I would change the rad if you still have a Valeo. You may need new coolant pipes as well as they rust. Nissans is a recommended alternative.

I don't know anyone in the UK that stocks Akebono brake pads. Imported from the US will incur customs duty.
EBC Redstuff pads are ceramic and well thought of. I have bought TRW low dust pads for my E63 from Autodoc at £64 a set for the fronts. To be honest, getting ceramic pads for the rear is hardly worthwhile considering most of the braking is through the front pads.
I'm unsure whether you can bleed the brakes on SBC vehicles without Star if you are removing the calipers.

E55 calipers are not cheap. Get a price from Bigg Red to have them refurbished. It will be far cheaper and they'll be like new.

I would change the rad if you still have a Valeo. You may need new coolant pipes as well as they rust. Nissans is a recommended alternative.
Thanks for advice, I had red stuff front and back on my rs and after a bit of bedding in they were fantastic, but doesn't look like they make them any longer for the E55. I'll phone the stealers on Monday as they did me a really good deal on a main battery a few weeks back, or I'll get brembos from ecp, and try and clean calipers as best I can whilst on car. Don't think previous owner used parking brake at all so will look at getting that free and greased. What trans cooler have people gone for as I want to get it done asap for piece of mind, do you need longer flow and return pipe work? Thanks for help.

Thanks for advice, I had red stuff front and back on my rs and after a bit of bedding in they were fantastic, but doesn't look like they make them any longer for the E55. I'll phone the stealers on Monday as they did me a really good deal on a main battery a few weeks back, or I'll get brembos from ecp, and try and clean calipers as best I can whilst on car. Don't think previous owner used parking brake at all so will look at getting that free and greased. What trans cooler have people gone for as I want to get it done asap for piece of mind, do you need longer flow and return pipe work? Thanks for help.
Will also take a look at TRW as they seem to knock out some decent stuff.

Hi
I believe the E55 never suffered from Valeo issues.
This seems to be borne out by this post,

True. I use to always buy Nissens radiators too. Really good quality

Don't bother with a set of Brembo rears. They're just a reboxed and rebranded Comline pad.
If you know the part number, I can have a shop for you.
Otherwise play it safe with a set of Apec

Happy new year to all. I've recently accuired a late 03 E55 saloon, going to be doing the rear brake pads in the next few weeks, I only use the car as a daily driver so what pads are the best, oe or I've read good things about Akebono? Also I plan on taking the calipers of for clean up, as the last rear end brake pad swap on my previous 03 RS6 turned into a nightmare and I ended up replacing both calipers. So my questions are what are your thoughts on pads, do I need and can I bleed rear brakes one at a time with the old two man method, after disconnecting sbc pump, as I haven't got star (had icarsoft down on chrimbo list but the wife got me a rucksack instead, I think she's trying to tell me something) and how much and where would I get new calipers if needed, got TRW ones for the Audi for £300 a pair but after struggling with hot wheels and on off hassle I was glad to pay it. I've also noticed I've got the Valeo rad, should I worry or get it changed when I change trans fluid in the spring? Sorry it's a bit long winded, but if anyone has any tips on the above I would be more than grateful. Cheers all Matt.
Happy New Year to you too.

I hate to promote this company. However, they seem British. The only Akebono stockist in the UK is RTSAutomotive.

0207 993 0089 or email us at [email protected].uk

Sorry its a Sunday, as they'll be closed. Hopefully they'll be open as normal tomorrow.

Happy New Year to you too.

I hate to promote this company. However, they seem British. The only Akebono stockist in the UK is RTSAutomotive.

0207 993 0089 or email us at [email protected].uk

Sorry its a Sunday, as they'll be closed. Hopefully they'll be open as normal tomorrow.
Thanks so much for that, I'll contact them tomorrow.

Hi
I believe the E55 never suffered from Valeo issues.
This seems to be borne out by this post,
Thanks Andy.

Thanks for the info I couldn't find that brand on the website, I'll be doing the fronts in the summer and would like those ypi suggested on, so will keep trawling, the backs really needed sorting so bad to buy asap.

Thanks I'll give them a call when the time comes, appreciate your help.

I'll be honest I can't remember if I spoke to anyone or weather there was a recorded message to say they were having trouble answering calls due to covid, in any case I'm not massively concerned with rear end braking, it's the front end I need to spend time researching as I'll prob change discs and pads. Interesting discussion on copper grease, I've always used it on pads and hubs, prob because fathers always used it, but will get some of the wurth grease for when I do the front end and for when I change all the spark plugs in the summer. Out of interest what make of plug and lead would you recommend. Cheers Matt.

when I change all the spark plugs in the summer. Out of interest what make of plug and lead would you recommend. Cheers Matt.
I'd use OE leads and NGK ILFR6A Iridium spark plugs on an E55.
Some owners prefer the Bosch Double Platinum plugs. I have no experience of these.

I'd use OE leads and NGK ILFR6A Iridium spark plugs on an E55.
Some owners prefer the Bosch Double Platinum plugs. I have no experience of these.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom