Brake pipe replacement question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2

Car
Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16v, Lancia Delta HF LS Turbo 16V, C240, C36 ///AMG
One of my brake pipes is leaking and I need to either replace the failed section with copper pipe or replace the whole lenght from the rear to the front of the car, however to replace the whole pipe will require dropping the fule tank as the original route takes all the brake and fuel pipes over the fuel tank. It's a W202 C Class.

1. Can I just replace the failed section with copper pipe

2. If I were to replace the whole pipe without dropping the fuel tank, re routing the new pipe will it result in a MOT failure if the new pipe does not followthe original route

You can replace a section but i wouldn't use copper personally, it's strength and fatigue properties aren't great which is why it's illegal to use it for brake pipes in other countries like the US and Oz. Cunifer (a copper nickel alloy)* is the stuff to use IMO... it's tensile strength and burst pressure are on a par with brazed steel brake pipes but it's yield strength is lower so it's nearly as easy to bend/flare as copper and it's % elongation is higher which means it can be stretched and bent a lot more before it fails

The MOT tester shouldn't care if the pipe is routed differently as long as it's properly supported and not routed in a way that could result in it catching on something and being ripped off. MOT testers manual here... Mot Testers Manual-Contents

* The flavour used for brake pipe is typically CW352H / C70600 to BSEN 12449, one to watch as it's not unknown for copper pipe to be mis sold as cunifer despite the slight but obvious colour difference. Brake pipe marked up as BS EN 12449 C106 (aka cw024a) is copper

I used to work in the factory where the Kunifer-10 brake pipe was manufactured.
IMI-Yorkshire Alloys ... Leeds.
I was responsible for the 100% eddy-current testing of all brake pipe.
Wonderful stuff ... Guaranteed for the life of the vehicle against salt-water corrosion.
They use it in naval ships and submarines for sea-water distribution systems.

We also manufactured small-bore copper-tube ... BUT ... We expressly did NOT recommend the use of copper tube for brake pipes.

My work still involves the eddy-current and ultrasonic testing of copper-nickel tube for marine applications - But most of it these days is 70/30 copper-nickel (Kunifer-30) rather than Kunifer-10.

John,
Were you able to find out if 3.5mm, 4.5mm and 6mm o/d were available in kunifer?

Hi Will.
Unless there is a very good reason why it would not fit ...
I would try 3/16" dia (4.76mm) for the 4.5mm and 1/4" dia (6.35mm) for the 6mm.
6mm is probably a standard size.
I know the flares are not the standard ones on UK and US vehicles.
I have some 3/16"
I might even have a bit of 1/4 inch.
If not - I would think it's quite easy to get hold of.

Regarding the 3.5mm ... It's not one I have come across - But I do know that IMI were looking at supplying Citroen some 20 years ago ... and I do remember that they were odd-ball unusual diameters.

Have a trawl round e-bay or the search engines.

I could get you a few lengths made by Cole Tubes or MGI ....... But it would cost the earth for a small quantity.
Would the Citroen fraternity be interested in making a group buy for any or all of the sizes.
I can certainly help, as I have the contacts in the industry.

To be specific, we would need to know the required OD and the required bore or mean WT of the various sizes of tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom