Brake pipes corroded & kwik fit free brake check

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Copper nickel and copper are both much more malleable and ductile than steel.
Of the copper alloys, copper is most-malleable, but copper-nickel is not far behind it.
90/10 copper-nickel is more malleable than 70/30 copper-nickel, although both are relatively easy to flare, and both are subject to "drift-testing" during their physical tests at the works.
The "good tip" I offered above should also be applied to the flaring of steel pipe …… and this includes ones that you buy pre-formed.
Drawn tube (of any metal) is always subject to the longitudinal defect (or spilly). This is the principal characteristic defect that you inspect for in drawn tube.
This is because any minor casting defect in the metal (for example, a gas pore or a minor inclusion of oxide) elongates during the drawing process and results in a longitudinal split of spilly.
This may be evident on the bore or on the outside of the tube.
In either case, when you flare the tube, the flare splits at the weak point and you get a split in the flare.

Copper Alloys have been used for many years in marine applications because of their salt-water corrosion resistance and resistance to bio-fouling.
In ship-building and in off-shore oil and gas, 90/10 copper-nickel dominates the market for salt-water pipelines.
Various grades of brass were used for many years, but have largely been displaced by 90/10 Cu-Ni because of its superior performance and the fact that it is less-susceptible to problems such as stress-corrosion. NES779)

For the technically-minded - The physical testing requirements for 90/10 Cu-Ni pipe that we used to use were specified in BS2871 (or the corresponding Naval Engineering Standard NES779):
Vickers hardness, HV max 95
Elongation, min 35%
Drift test - Min expansion at tube end 30%
without cracking
I'm not sure what the requirements are/were for steel brake pipe - It's not so-much my world.

Johnsco..Question.

Just about every type of tubing you buy these days have various info printed along their length during manufacture.

What (is the least) I would expect to see see printed on quality tube suitable for brake pipe use , what to look out for ?

We always certified our K-10 brake tube to BS2871 Part 2.
That standard was very well-known in the UK and internationally and is still referenced today.
It has now been replaced by BS EN 12449:2016 + A1:2019.
I would expect that to be on the packaging and (possibly) line-marked on the tube.
It is just possible that you may see the American specs referenced … C70600 and ASTM B111.

BUT

All that appears on tube line marks is not always what it seems.

A friend of mine assures me that he witnessed copper-nickel tube being line-marked "Made in Italy".
OK … Except that he was standing in a Chinese factory at the time !!

This is not only a risk for copper-nickel tubes, but is a real problem when trying to determine the provenance of all sorts of engineering procurement.

Just for Info .I had to go to Halfords yesterday..bloody bicycle tubes..again !! I swear the youth in my family purposely find broken bottles to ride over :mad:.

Anyway, the brake pipe they sell there has " 4.76mm x 0.71mm C106 ECT BS EN-12449 BS 2871 10079" printed on it along with the non metric measurements and the date of manufacture, curiously the date is printed month before day then year, opposite to what we do in the UK so probably of foreign origin ,no bad thing :dk:.
25 foot roll , £11.

Hi Pete.
Interesting that they still print the obsolete British Standard BS2871 on the tube.
4.76mm OD x 0.71mm WT is the same as 3/16" OD x 22 swg (standard wire gauge) brake pipe that we used to make and that is widely used in UK, Europe and USA.
ECT stands for "eddy-current tested".
This is a requirement of BS2871 Part 2 and the EN12449 standard.
C106 is copper … not copper-nickel.
There are many grades of copper.
C106 is the grade for non-electrical use - such as vehicle brake lines.
CN102 is the B.S. designation for 90/10 copper-nickel.
The other number on the tube may be a batch number.

Foreign origin … No bad thing ???
Interesting that the line-marking uses the old BS designation C106, rather than the EN12449 designation CW024A.
That suggests to me that it is of Far-Eastern manufacture (unsurprisingly).

I Just had Both my Rear pipes replaced on my C220 W204 by an indy in Dereham ( recommended on here ) £160 total for the job, all OE parts, same guy that did my air con

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom