Brake pipes heads up on 2012 cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mickw212

Car
E class 250CDI W212/E46 330Ci Cab
Just a heads up on this gents,
Recently popped in an autocentre to get my wheel checked after pot holing it. On the ramps was a 2012 C250 coupe, nice well kept car but the brake pipes that run along the left hand sill were rotten. They looked like they were from a 95 car. All the pipes are hidden behind a cover so an MOT man has no chance of seeing this!! This guy only found out because of losing brake fluid on his drive,but he carried on running it so then trashed the seals in the master cylinder too. If you have a friendly Indy or you can get at these yourself take the cover off as you wont believe the crud that gets trapped in there merrily corroding your pipes! Yes mine was in the next day, not too bad but cleaned & wax oiled before putting covers back on. On a 4 post ramp this took 20mins tops. Worth having it looked at!

Nice Swan cheers, I have a 2012 S204 C250, will certainly be checking then :cool:

Mick , thanks for that one . Rotting brake lines are a pet hate of mine , especially when the fix is cheap...just put quality stuff on in the first place ! It's down to money (obvs) Car makers would rather fit and extra USB socket in the cabin that someone can see - but might never really use - than use use decent (slightly more expensive) pipe to make brake systems safer for the 3rd or 4th owner. :(. Solid brake pipes should out live the car they are bolted to. :mad:

Manufacturers don't they use copper brake lines any more?
This is a safety issue!
Rusted brake lines is dangerous

No , they use cheap metal tube , you can buy better quality tube than MB (and others) use in Halfords, it's copper , but using a Kunifer variant is better , but also widely available and relatively cheap.

Years ago when I used to work on my cars, Kunifer was the go to stuff for brake pipes. Don't know if its still the case or if its been superceded by something else. No doubt someone will let me know

I wish id taken photo`s of the pipes for you all to see. 90% of the pipes were fine say bottom front edge of the door to 100mm from the rear wheel arch but the curved sections that go around the wheel arch were horrific because the cover held all the crap on top of the pipes. My E class is not far from mint body wise but after taking the covers off underneath i was surprised that crap can hide in this area as you wouldnt think it could get there in the first place. You wouldnt shift it with your sunday morning jet wash either. Once its in ..its in. Mud flaps may? stop it but id still check. Merc dealer also told this guy they have sold over 300 master cylinders in the last 12 months...same part on many models i guess but its still a lot to me.

There's another job on the list when the weather picks up again! Thanks for that 😆

P.S. I love it really

There's another job on the list when the weather picks up again! Thanks for that 😆

P.S. I love it really
Me too .

I had a problem a few months after I bought my car. The dealer who sold me the car paid for the work to be done and I paid for genuine lines from mb. Scared me when I saw the lines the garage took off!!! Worth checking at least once a year to be safe

There's another job to be added to the weekend 'To Do' list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom