Brake Service - W211 - SBC??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IceBoy

Car
C200cdi W204 auto Elegance
Hi All,

The "Brake Service" indicator has been coming on and off since I purchased the car.

My mechanic tells me that the brake pads have been changed by the previous owner but the job was not done properly!!

Apparently the caliper should not have been manually wound!

Any way...long story short, the ex MB mechanic has bled the complete braking system and done the correct caliper proceedure and manually pressurised the system.

Issue - The light cannot be turned off, or it comes back on!

The mechanic now tells me I might need an expensive part?!?! Apparently it is at the end of it service life.

OK, so the car is 2003-53-reg (Dec 2003) model with north of 150k on the clock......he is going to price it up for me tomorrow?!?!

What can I expect?

Any help or guidence?

IceBoy

The main dealer price to do the job is circa £1600-1800.

SPX is right I am afraid, my 2003 S211 cdi was prised away from me when the gearbox was found to have anti freeze in it from the radiator.

Didn't fancy throwing good money after bad so p/x'd it for a Volvo. Never another Mercedes.

How much?

Are you sure?

Do they have a 10 year warantee?

S**t !

Just be glad you've not got Glycol in your transmission fluid.

Around £3000 all in.

Another quality product from Messrs Benz

Bitter? Moi?

If you've got full Mercedes service history, you might get a 50% contribution.

Just be glad you've not got Glycol in your transmission fluid.

Around £3000 all in.

Another quality product from Messrs Benz

Bitter? Moi?

I think it is hard not to be with that kind of bill...

I think the car has MB history for the first 5-6 years and then independent.

The car is a 53-reg (Dec-2003) w211 AG E320 cdi estate.

I've only had the car a few weeks!
IceBoy

I imagine it was got rid of with the knowledge the SBC unit had reached the end of its service life and you've now inadvertently taken on the stitch-up.

I think the car has MB history for the first 5-6 years and then independent.

The car is a 53-reg (Dec-2003) w211 AG E320 cdi estate.

I've only had the car a few weeks!
IceBoy

I'd get a glycol check done on your transmission fluid then for peace of mind, unless you can verify you've got a car that's not at risk of this issue.

Sorry to hear of your woes.

In the last 4 weeks:

Rear boot latch
Bonnet latch
Full service
New battery
Gearbox oil flush and service

.....now this.....I can't believe it........what a lemon.

Should I get the indie to do the work or take it into MB for diagnostics?

The indie does have STAR.....how up to date it is....im not sure?

Jeeeeezzz!
IceBoy

Mine was like that too, in a 4 week period I found out it needed new gearbox and torque covertor, radiator, transmission pipes, rear sub frame bushes, assorted ball joints, the bill would have come to around £4000 so I had to let it go.

I can't believe we're the only ones to have been bitten, and mine didn't even have 100k miles on the clock.

Bad luck, I feel for you. With these problems you are constantly stuck between walking away at a big loss and throwing potentially good money after bad.

That said, this is a common issue with these cars AFAIK, so doesn't necessarily indicate it has been neglected or will have other problems.

Get your indie to check it on STAR and see if it's definately the problem.

The SBC pump isn't a serviceable part, so there is no way that you can avert this.

You can get your pump reconditioned for around £600-700, but you need STAR to take it off and STAR to refit it.

Try Mercedes for a goodwill gesture, you never know your luck in a lottery...

Everytime I un lock the car I get a buzzing/ABS type sound for about 10 seconds.....I guess this is the SBC failure then.

Lots spent, very sad.......I just dont have anymore money to spend on it.

I will phone the MB dealer to discuss.

IceBoy

Everytime I un lock the car I get a buzzing/ABS type sound for about 10 seconds.....I guess this is the SBC failure then.

Lots spent, very sad.......I just dont have anymore money to spend on it.

I will phone the MB dealer to discuss.

IceBoy

That's normal, you also get it every 6 or presses of the pedal when your driving

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom