brake warning on dash..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dss

Car
w204 2010 c180 cgi, w203 c180 kompressor 2003, 1988 190e classic
Hi friends,

Just had the 'brake pads low visit stearship warning' display on dash on my
w203 '03.

Any idea how many more miles i can do before im in serious trouble?
Not being stingy just that i cant visit my trusted indie (who's out of town) for a couple of weeks and dont really wanna use 'bad fit' et al..

cheers

d

p.s. apologies if this is done before!!

I can't say I've tested it but the brake sensor wires/pins are quite thick and there is still pad left when the wires are worn through so I think you would be safe for a couple of weeks. The sensor wires should be replaced anyway when you change the pads. Drive steady and I think you'll be OK but don't sue me if the worst happens. It's just an assumption on my part. ;)

If there is 25% material left, calculate how long it has taken to wear down the 75%. If it's longer than 6 weeks, you're safe. ;)

Brake pads make a howling noise long before finally wearing down to the backing metal.

cheers guys,

ive reset the trip.. no screeching as yet!! 1000 miles sounds promising.

anyhow booked into 'badfit' for a free brake check - lets see what they say.

for such a standard procedure would you guys trust kwik fit to do a decent job??

***update***

booked into kwik fits for free check.. concluded i needed new front pads and discs = £450!!!

when i hestitated they became pushy and almost demanded a i put down a deposit and get the work done later.. i walked away..

booked into local indie.. said only pads needed doing and adjusted play in bearings (which i knew about) = £182.

MOTO : please dont do kwik fit.

however, brakes work fine but car is vearing towards left. could this be anything to do with bearings/pads??

cheers

If it wasn't veering left on the road into the Indy - take it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom