Brakepads on E63 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kei

Car
W212 M157 E63
Looking to get my front and rear brakepads replaced but not sure with what.

A few questions.

Mercedes parts department quoted me £194+VAT for the front, £170+VAT for the back and £8.53 per sensor which seems a bit steep. I can get OEM ones cheaper. There's a front+rear+sensors set for £310 all in on eBay right now - is this a good price?

Secondly, I'm covered under Halford's brakes4life which gives me free brake pad replacements. I carried this incentive over from my previous car and asked them whether or not the brakepads they will replace with, will be OEM. They told me they use Pagid. Would pagid brakepads be ok for my AMG? What brand are the OEM ones?

Basically Halfords won't replace the brakepads until 2mm is left. Yet Mercedes says they should be replaced from 2.5-3mm. Should I hang on to get the Pagids for free or should I shell out £310 for the OEM ones?

Thanks

Last edited:
Stick to oem the ones for £310 are for sale by a member on here which is a good price!

I also have a set of fronts for sale I can do you very cheap

I paid around £340 for mine from my main dealer.

They wanted a bit more but I'd already checked them at Southend and Grangemouth so they price matched for me. They also threw the sensors in as a favour.

Pagid budget ones (which Halford will use are crap). Their race pads (RS4-2 blue compound) are amazing though ;)

Pagid rs4-2 is good but can be noisy. OEM is silent.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I would say there is no harm in trying the freebies from Halfords and then if you don't like them ,just change for something else.
Got to be worth a try.

99% of people wouldn't put sub standard quality oil in cars, yet people consider cheap brands of brakes and tyres.
I use to be the same, until a friend had an accident about 9 months ago. Granted, these things could happen regardless of the quality of brakes and tyres but it's better to be safe than sorry. My advise is go for oem.

Of course if you are Lewis Hamilton then go straight for the performance ones obviously....
Im not sure the Pagid ones are likely to fail for road use, but if your tracking the car then yes money talks

Thanks for the help guys!

It seems the £310 ones mentioned were for his 2011 6.2L E63. Can anyone confirm whether or not it'd be compatible with my late 2013, 5.5L 557PS version?

99% of people wouldn't put sub standard quality oil in cars, yet people consider cheap brands of brakes and tyres. ��

Their quality policy is "at Halfords Autocentres we only ever use OE (Original Equipment) equivalent parts".

The thing is, Halford tells me Mercedes uses Pagid as their OEM and they'd be giving me Pagid brake pads. I don't know if you consider Pagid 'sub standard' nor if there could be varying levels of quality for the 'equivalent parts' that they produce. If it's the latter, then obviously I'd choose to avoid them.

Pagid rs4-2 is good but can be noisy. OEM is silent.
Hmm, can't find my exact car on their list of supported vehicles.

Stick to oem the ones for £310 are for sale by a member on here which is a good price!

I also have a set of fronts for sale I can do you very cheap
I'd PM you except that I can't. I see you created an eBay listing. I'll contact you on there.

Last edited:
The ones I mentioned above were for a facelifted car, so 2013+

Halfords are good for bikes.

Not many people are making the pads for the later versions, EBC are one of the few and the Yellow Stuff ones are apparently OK, though I decided against them

As Luke suggests, stick with OEM. I mentioned above that mine were less than £340 including sensors, this was for back and front and my little car stopped fine with them, pulling down from over 180mph in the limited runway space which we had at the time.

As above- I paid about £330 from Grangemouth for originals and they're fine

You can get DS2500 pads for the front of the AMG here.

Ferodo DS2500 pads FRP3133H - JDL-Brakes.com

As for brakes, the callipers are the same as the W211 and the Audi RS6 C6/C7 so any pads that fit in those will fit in the W212.

I mean i'd double check measurements etc, but the pad list on the DS2500 is as follows.
Audi RS6 C6 ( (4F2,4F5) iron brakes
Audi RS6 C7 ( 4G ) iron brakes
LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER III (LM) 5.0 V8 09.09-
LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT (LS) 5.0 2010.01- 372KW / 375 KW
Mercedes C63 AMG W204
Mercedes CLK 63 AMG C209
Mercedes E63 AMG W211 / W212
Mercedes SL55 AMG / SL63 AMG R230
Mercedes SL65 AMG / Black Series R230
Mercedes SLS AMG

So any aftermarket pads you can find that fit any of those cars will work on the 212.

Personally i would avoid cheap pads like i would the plague, again same with cheap tyres.
Having personally tried both.... unless you genuinely drive round the city all day and never ever go over 70mph i would invest in good quality rubber MPS4S's are amazing and a decent pad, i run DS2500 in the front and Brembo pads from ECP on the back.
EuroCarParts Brembo Pads (Rear) they work out to £68 with the discount code applied.

Last edited:
You can get DS2500 pads for the front of the AMG
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I went with the Brembos for the back, very good discount on there from ECP.

Looking at the Ferodos. Quite tempted but it does state that they're for Racing and probably shouldn't be used on public roads. What's your experience with them on the road?

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I went with the Brembos for the back, very good discount on there from ECP.

Looking at the Ferodos. Quite tempted but it does state that they're for Racing and probably shouldn't be used on public roads. What's your experience with them on the road?

Its just a cover on there own part.. they are without doubt fine on the road, i use them all the time as it is.

Yes the brembo pads are very cheap, not sure on comparison to the OEM merc but i'd assume at least close.
But yes DS2500 are perfect.

Its just a cover on there own part.. they are without doubt fine on the road, i use them all the time as it is.

Yes the brembo pads are very cheap, not sure on comparison to the OEM merc but i'd assume at least close.
But yes DS2500 are perfect.
What Are they like Tom when cold and braking rightly? Are they totally silent like Oem? No downsides at all?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mine are great the only place they make a very small amount of noise for a split second is from 5 to 0mph now and again but I didn't use any grease on install

Thanks for the help guys!

It seems the £310 ones mentioned were for his 2011 6.2L E63. Can anyone confirm whether or not it'd be compatible with my late 2013, 5.5L 557PS version?

Their quality policy is "at Halfords Autocentres we only ever use OE (Original Equipment) equivalent parts".

The thing is, Halford tells me Mercedes uses Pagid as their OEM and they'd be giving me Pagid brake pads. I don't know if you consider Pagid 'sub standard' nor if there could be varying levels of quality for the 'equivalent parts' that they produce. If it's the latter, then obviously I'd choose to avoid them.

Hmm, can't find my exact car on their list of supported vehicles.

I'd PM you except that I can't. I see you created an eBay listing. I'll contact you on there.

I emailed you back mate

Eventually went for Brembo at the back and DS2500 in the front. However, DS2500 doesn't seem to come with / have a groove for the wear sensor. We ended up having to short the sensor wires to stop the brake wear warning coming up on the dash everytime. Still early days but so far so good. No noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom