Brakes applied themselves at approx 8 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've no experience but would collision assist have some dash indication?

Yes, it's a 3-stage thing (on our 2019 S205, anyway) depending on the perceived risk of collision:

1. Warning light on the cluster
2. As 1 above plus alarm beep
3. As 2 above plus brake application

The first is reasonably common in traffic with people changing lanes etc. Have had the second a couple of times with oncoming traffic on bends. Have never personally had the third but I agree it's very likely what happened here.

I know there are various 'flavours' of collision prevention on MBs ... the main variation I think is whether it looks at crossing traffic (coming from 90 deg to the left & right) ahead. Our C Class doesn't have this.

It's happened to me once with a car turning right , I was far enough behind and could pass on his left ,because he didn't turn quick enough and the gap closed , I was doing 25/ 30 mph . My train of thought and anticipation of his actions were greater than what my car could see . As I neared to pass on his left my car panicked ,hit the brakes and steered me to the left , all being for just a split second mind you . But enough to put the wind up me . 😁

Am I right in thinking that when an owner has lost confidence in this new fangled magic, that the car is superior and it can't be disabled?

I'm sure there are many examples when the system has performed life saving tricks, but it does sound like it could create danger also.

Am I right in thinking that when an owner has lost confidence in this new fangled magic, that the car is superior and it can't be disabled?

I'm sure there are many examples when the system has performed life saving tricks, but it does sound like it could create danger also.

You can deactivate most on my e350 . 3 years of ownership and 1 small blip. I'll be leaving mine active .

Yes, you're right.

You can set Active Brake Assist to Early/Medium/Late/Off. If you select Off though I'm pretty sure it defaults back to Medium next time you start the car.

As an aside there's another function that slows (but doesn't completely stop) the car if an obstacle is detected when pulling away from a standstill after first engaging D or R. This cuts in occasionally when driving out of my garage (I assume due to the limited clearance either side).

It’s a system with a combination of physical components and software, so it can fail or develop a fault. So it could cause a safety issue, however the number of scenarios in which it will avoid a safety issue - or reduce the severity - will be far greater, and so on balance worthwhile (at least for me).

The same could be said with other systems, such as airbags. Airbags have explosives in them and no doubt airbags fail or actually cause more harm than good - which is why they’re fully calibrated for low speed impact - but they mostly save lives, and lots of them.

i have had the first stage warning several times but never the full on braking in this car but several times in a mk6 golf.

my biggest bugbear is the speed limit recognition when it reds the little signs on trucks and slows you down to 50/60 or speeds you up to 90 :D that and the one where it brakes the wheels on one side to throw you back into lane if you go near a solid line as i keep catching one where the the white lines curves into the road then back out to the kerb again thats annoying too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom