BRAKES STICKING. W208 CLK320 2002.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HIGHLANDMERC

Car
CLK320
When cold the brakes are working fine, however after driving for a while and parking the car with a hot engine, when I start driving again the brakes stick. After the brak4s start sticking, if I pull-up the brake pedal then the brakes free up again until the next time I need to brake. The offside front brake is hotter than normal after driving like this.
my thoughts are:
1. offside front brake calliper sticking….but not sure why it is OK when cold.
2. Master cylinder defect
3. Brake Assist System (BAS)

Any advice much appreciated.

I think there was a recent thread about the same as this. The pedal having to be pulled back is ringing a bell. Can't remember the outcome or if it was reported back.
My first suspicion would be a collapsed (internally) flexible brake hose on the front OS caliper. The rubber is susceptible to temperature changes also - softening with heat. Not sure if it would leave the pedal hanging though.

Is it a dark colour you have? I had this on my old Black 208, and solved it in the end by putting a second stronger spring on the pedal. My lower mileage Tanzanite blue one also does it a little - 2000MY so maybe the master cylinder piston warps? Be interested to know if there is a fix. Short of replacing the master cylinder and boost.

Hi
I had a similiar issue with my C230K, it turned out to be the brake pedal return spring had snapped so the pedal wasn't returning to the top of its travel.
As the 202 and 208 share the same chassis have a look at the pedal and see if there are signs of a broken spring.

I think there was a recent thread about the same as this. The pedal having to be pulled back is ringing a bell. Can't remember the outcome or if it was reported back.
My first suspicion would be a collapsed (internally) flexible brake hose on the front OS caliper. The rubber is susceptible to temperature changes also - softening with heat. Not sure if it would leave the pedal hanging though.
Thanks for the suggestion. The fault seems to be definitely related to temperature. Yesterday on a long drive, everything was working fine. After a 45 minute rest-stop the brakes started sticking. However once we got up some speed on dual carriageway and motorway the flow of air must have cooled things down and the brakes were fine again. I will order new front brake hoses and post again with the result.

Is it a dark colour you have? I had this on my old Black 208, and solved it in the end by putting a second stronger spring on the pedal. My lower mileage Tanzanite blue one also does it a little - 2000MY so maybe the master cylinder piston warps? Be interested to know if there is a fix. Short of replacing the master cylinder and boost.
Yes the car is black. The spring seems to be functioning correctly but will look for a second spring. Thanks.

Hi
I had a similiar issue with my C230K, it turned out to be the brake pedal return spring had snapped so the pedal wasn't returning to the top of its travel.
As the 202 and 208 share the same chassis have a look at the pedal and see if there are signs of a broken spring.
Thanks for the suggestion. The spring seems to working correctly. The fault seems to be related to temperature, I am going to investigate a few suggestions and post again when I have further news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom