Brakes time again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

unclebuck

Car
CLS 320 /08
Long drive to and from Bournemouth the over the weekend, by the time i got home they sounded like a pair of sandals flapping back and fore!!.

Picked up a fantastic deal on a set of Febi discs, brakes and mounting pins/bracket from my loacal auto parts indi for under £120 for the lot, ordered the rears as well.
Going to strip them down this weekend and give everything a clean before i put the new set on. While its all off give it a good clean in there and check the dust guard too, see if i need to order a new set if they are still in good condition , i will take them off, clean and give them a coat of paint.

clean the calipers check the gators on the pistons, clean the struts and everything else, will try and get plenty of pics for here.

Ach wrong section!! could one of the admins move it to the brakes and suspension section! thanks

Last edited:
You are cracking on with the car work ! Looking forward to the promised pics :)

You are cracking on with the car work ! Looking forward to the promised pics :)
Cheers W1ghty

Yes i was going to see if i could find the boost leak this weekend but the brakes need doing first. The boost leak is a little wierd as its not all the time it comes and goes, no engine warning lights etc. I know the turbo needs pulling because of the little damage on the edges of the vanes. I am leaning more to the egr system, so I will put a 4.7k resistor in next week and see if it goes away, i thought i had one here but it was the wrong value, so i will grab one from work.

Without a doubt the intake manifolds have to come off and be cleaned out and while out do the oil cooler seals. I expect the link arms for the swirl flaps are worn out and sloppy as they usually go that way. There isn't much left to do to be honest apart from some cleaning up in the engine bay. I may change the front nad rear torsion bar bushes shortly as well. the engine bay supports seem ok.

I have changed far too many sensors now needed or not and now I am going through all the sealing rings.

Kepps me occupied!!

thanks again

Long drive to and from Bournemouth the over the weekend, by the time i got home they sounded like a pair of sandals flapping back and fore!!.

Picked up a fantastic deal on a set of Febi discs, brakes and mounting pins/bracket from my loacal auto parts indi for under £120 for the lot, ordered the rears as well.
Going to strip them down this weekend and give everything a clean before i put the new set on. While its all off give it a good clean in there and check the dust guard too, see if i need to order a new set if they are still in good condition , i will take them off, clean and give them a coat of paint.

clean the calipers check the gators on the pistons, clean the struts and everything else, will try and get plenty of pics for here.

Ach wrong section!! could one of the admins move it to the brakes and suspension section! thanks
remember to replace the brake caliper bolts! dnt use the old ones

Worked on the drivers side brakes today, havent got to the passengers side yet, started to rain.
Lots of piccys taken, will try to explain what I am doing and why when i sort through them and upload them later.

Bit of a surprise found while working on them which has now led to having a little more work done next week while its in my local mechs.

Last mot there was an advisory on an inner tie rod, looks like its caught up with me and its time to get it done, will jsut get both done and the outer adjustable toe arm at the same time. would do them myself but I dont have one of the tie arm removal tools and I dont have time to wait for one to arrive.

1625926830223.png

So the brakes were done after this pass, the front brakes were serviced by me when I got the car.
The examiner told me the inner joints were ok for a while but would need chaning, the movement was slight but it would get worse over time.
These were on my schedule for next month to be changed while i worked on both of the front suspension set up and arms, along with changing the front torsion bar bushes.

This has been moved up to next week now, If i can get the tool quicker then I will do them, if not the mech i use will. It would be good to do them and do a set of pics for them also for other members to see, will take a look for the tool this afternoon and see if i can get it over night.

More to follow later on.

Picked up a full set of tie rods and boots today, going to be replacing them this weekend. The car is in with the mechs until tomorrow to investigate a noise from the new aircon pump, when the car is started it sounds like darth vader breathing!! turn the aircon on and it goes away. The guys at Prices thought it was the free wheeling bearing on the pully wheel.

Going to hang fire on all the pics until i get these things done and theres worthwhile contect to share.

This weekends jobs ( sun shining of course)
both front tie rods
lower ball joints
finish brakes

Next weekend do the front anti sway bar bushings and the rear

Todays update, I know @W1ghty will be waiting for it lol!!

Ok picked the car up from the mech today after work, noise wasn't from the new aircon pump its from my power steering pump, its the original and it a little worn out so a new one is on the way but it is still drivable. Other issues two pulley bearings worn and the tensioner worn so all replaced today along with a nice new belt.

Also picked up the other tie rod ends so its a full set for the weekend then off for alignment/tracking

Had a chat with the guys there and they are going to do the boost leak check for me next week, see where that pesky leak is.

Had to drive wifey's a'class today so it was a bit of a git going from an auto to a manual after quite a while... not so good driving onto a busy roundabout still in third gear from a standstill.. craaaaaawwwwllllll.

Spent the evening giving it a clean ready for tomorrow.

car.jpg

Todays update, I know @W1ghty will be waiting for it lol!!

Ok picked the car up from the mech today after work, noise wasn't from the new aircon pump its from my power steering pump, its the original and it a little worn out so a new one is on the way but it is still drivable. Other issues two pulley bearings worn and the tensioner worn so all replaced today along with a nice new belt.

Also picked up the other tie rod ends so its a full set for the weekend then off for alignment/tracking

Had a chat with the guys there and they are going to do the boost leak check for me next week, see where that pesky leak is.

Had to drive wifey's a'class today so it was a bit of a git going from an auto to a manual after quite a while... not so good driving onto a busy roundabout still in third gear from a standstill.. craaaaaawwwwllllll.

Spent the evening giving it a clean ready for tomorrow.

View attachment 115718
That’s a nice colour, very different to the usual MB silver and black’s . Thanks for the update :)

Did the inner and outer tie arms and new boots etc then gave the arches a clean up, took pics etc, lots to edit up but i will update the tread this week.

I cooked today doing these!!

Started working on the rear brakes yesterday, brake wear came up so a full set of febi's were purchased, It was a pain to get the old disc off, didn't want to budge but a mini sledge soon shifted it!!!

Removed the brake pads and there was nothing but a couple of mill left on them ( I had been putting the rears off for a while due to work)

Seperated the brake sections and got to work cleaning them up removing all the brake dust and crap from them using my wirebrush on the grinder and drill.

Lo and behold not long after doing it something hit me in the eye had to finish it up and go to hospital because i took my glasses off KEEP SAFTEY GLASSES ON THATS WHAT THEY ARE FOR

All is good eye is ok just very bloodshhot

Took a couple of pics, gotta do the other side today.

Will add pics later on.

Pics.
1: the new inner tie rod on the left compared to the sloppy as a babys rattle on the right

2: The outer tie rod, not loose but change them both at the same time.

3: outer tie rod close up pic, showing the wear to it, both were like this

4: New boot compared to old one, no splits but change it anyway

5: inner tie rod with outer fitted to shaft

6: Outer fitted to wheel hub assy

a/b/c: The state of the wheel arch area before and after

Rear: The first rear brake assy rebuilt, sorry no job pics, however i will do them for the other side today. ( There is copper grease on the disc outer I always put some on to stop the wheel sticking to the disc)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 18
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 18
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 20
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 23
  • rear 1.jpg
    rear 1.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 23
Well done,nice photo's,for a minute looking at your post10 you were going to show us the photo of your bloodshot eye.:rolleyes:

Good work , good pics ....but , the pedantic side of me would have liked to have seen the rear dust/stone guards behind the discs get a fresh coat of paint.

I know it doesn't last but it adds to the job . No doubt you had more important things to think of while sitting in A&E 🤕 👁️ . I hope your eye is OK.

Good work , good pics ....but , the pedantic side of me would have liked to have seen the rear dust/stone guards behind the discs get a fresh coat of paint.

I know it doesn't last but it adds to the job . No doubt you had more important things to think of while sitting in A&E 🤕 👁️ . I hope your eye is OK.
New dust guards on order front and rear, just waiting for them to arrive, I am the same way too. Need new handbrake shoes also, so ordered them as well, the full kits.

Eye is OK the white is now full on claret for a while, was hoping I was going to get an eye patch but didn't. I was really looking forward to using all of my bad pirate jokes.

New dust guards on order front and rear, just waiting for them to arrive, I am the same way too. Need new handbrake shoes also, so ordered them as well, the full kits.

Eye is OK the white is now full on claret for a while, was hoping I was going to get an eye patch but didn't. I was really looking forward to using all of my bad pirate jokes.
Some good work there, well done.

Just a quick question, "What impression do you get of the quality of Febi parts?" I ask because many people avoid Febi for critical applications, due to quality/longevity concerns.

I did score well with Febi flex discs that turned out not to be of Febi manufacture but SGF, as respected supplier of original MB/BMW etc. parts.

Interesting to hear of your views/experiences of Febi.

All the best.

RayH

This is some great work here. very interesting, the car looks great both on the top and underneath. I wish all car owners where like you :) How easy/difficult were the inner control arms? Did they just unscrew with a little force?

I fitted a new febi lower arm to my S204 after the cheap one fitted by the local garage lasted 8 months.. Time will tell but on the surface the quality seemed good.

Some good work there, well done.

Just a quick question, "What impression do you get of the quality of Febi parts?" I ask because many people avoid Febi for critical applications, due to quality/longevity concerns.

I did score well with Febi flex discs that turned out not to be of Febi manufacture but SGF, as respected supplier of original MB/BMW etc. parts.

Interesting to hear of your views/experiences of Febi.

All the best.

RayH
I have used febi for a while, on my clk i used brembo pads and discs but needed to reign in costs so started using the febi's. Personally I have never had any issue with them.

The car stops when i hit the brake pedal as it should, thats all i need from them.

Everyone else has different experiences using any product, these are fine for my needs and good on price.

This is some great work here. very interesting, the car looks great both on the top and underneath. I wish all car owners where like you :) How easy/difficult were the inner control arms? Did they just unscrew with a little force?

I fitted a new febi lower arm to my S204 after the cheap one fitted by the local garage lasted 8 months.. Time will tell but on the surface the quality seemed good.
The inner control arms came off easy, I bought an oversized adjustable spanner from screwfix and once on the squared sections it took just a little force to take them off, I think its around 60n for them.

I have used Meyle, Lemforder and Febi on my cars, as long as they do the job they have to I am good with that.

Lots of speed bumps here so everything gets effected eventually, mine were on the advisory so I wanted to do them anyway preventative maintenance.

Still more to do, MOT is in january so I plan of having the manifolds off and serviced /cleaned, the new turbo, swirl flap motor and power steering pump done. Thats it then engine wise. Get the wheels changed for the 5 spokes and a couple of stone chips dealt with.

Knowing me i will then mvoe it on for another project, wouldnt mind a cls55 to tinker with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom