Braking Judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatboydel

Car
MB C350 CDI Estate
:eek:I have an issue with serious brake judder when braking from speeds over 50MPH. Normally I do a lot of local journeys and have never noticed this before but I did a long run up the motorway yesterday and the brakes were fine for the first 10 miles or so, but then I could hardly hold on to the wheel when braking from over 70MPH. Going to work this morning the brakes felt fine again, so I did a quick run up the motorway and again the high speed braking issue appeared, but was fine when I slowed down around town.

Is this warped discs or something else?

You may have some corrosion on the discs or warped discs. New required really

:eek:I have an issue with serious brake judder when braking from speeds over 50MPH. Normally I do a lot of local journeys and have never noticed this before but I did a long run up the motorway yesterday and the brakes were fine for the first 10 miles or so, but then I could hardly hold on to the wheel when braking from over 70MPH. Going to work this morning the brakes felt fine again, so I did a quick run up the motorway and again the high speed braking issue appeared, but was fine when I slowed down around town.

Is this warped discs or something else?
afraid you need new discs they are warped . dont forget new pads and wear sensors to.try euro car spares.

^^^^^^^
Would agree, if it's that much discs are warped.

I'm surprised you have managed to warp what are almost certainly vented discs at 38k miles...
I'd be checking wheel nuts/bolts and hub nuts and caliper nuts first.
If a disc is warped, you should be able to see it by spinning the hub (with the disc retaining screws still in).
Up to about 0.005" runout will be OK - if they're warped, I expect you'll see a 'bump' in the runout.
I'd put money on something being loose though...

I'm surprised you have managed to warp what are almost certainly vented discs at 38k miles...
I'd be checking wheel nuts/bolts and hub nuts and caliper nuts first.
If a disc is warped, you should be able to see it by spinning the hub (with the disc retaining screws still in).
Up to about 0.005" runout will be OK - if they're warped, I expect you'll see a 'bump' in the runout.
I'd put money on something being loose though...

All you really need is a trip to the car wash with hot brakes to get them warped. From experience warping is usually due to quick cooling (with water on disc or similar) not excessive use.

All you really need is a trip to the car wash with hot brakes to get them warped. From experience warping is usually due to quick cooling (with water on disc or similar) not excessive use.

Sitting at the lights with your foot on the brakes after a spirited drive can also warp your discs. The pads sat against the very hot disc will cause hot spots and as the disc around the pad cools quicker warping can occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom