braking vibration @ 140km/h

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pnevesfoto

Car
MB W203 C220 CDI Avantgard Station
Hello all,
I have a w203 C Class Station C220 CDI and recently have been noticing a braking vibration when rolling @ speeds over 140km/h... sometimes it can get quite unpleasent, regarding all the confort felt while riding to the moment... we are rolling on a cloud and suddently all begins to shake...
does anyone have an idea if it is disc related? are they warped? shoud I get them machined/rectified... they have no wear lip and have very litle milage...
sometimes when crossing over a severe road irregularity I feel a litle slack in the suspension on the left side... can it be some rubber bushing introducing the vibration to the braking?

Either a worn suspension ball joint or warped discs.

Both will require new parts.

Make sure the hub is cleaned fully of all corrosion before fitting new discs.

I have a very similar symptom on my CLK-209. Discs and pads were all new 12 months ago.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what would the ball joints also be known as? is it the "Front Axle Lower Rear Left Control Arm"?

Like this?

Many thanks

yeah... I belive it may be, but BlackC55 certainly will give us a hand on this... ;)

Hi all

I have the same on my 06 W203 C220 CDi saloon with sports pack
Had new discs and pads nine thousand miles ago at dealers, discs are ridged already !!!!
Braking around 100mph, (private road obviously) it seems to pulse as if grabbing the
discs, it can be felt in the pedal too

Just passed MOT with advisory information
Measurement "RBT brake imbalance : 7%", and
Advisory "Front brake imbalanced, requirements only just met."

Also rear pads wearing thin, so will get these done

Any suggestions on cause and remedy

Car always serviced at dealers so far, but Indy nearby might be the choice now it is eight years old - or will age related discount may make it viable with dealer?
All advice welcomed.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice
Any comeback on the MB dealer, what warranty on the new discs/pads?
Also is there a discount on parts and labour for older cars with the dealers? I seem to remember there was but can't find it
Best wishes

I had the same problem on my w203 last week, changed the discs and pads and the problem has gone away.

hello you all,
well, today I took my w203 estate to an indy nearby and finally got a full and proper check up...
a few fault codes stored, mostly from climate control (flap motors gone dead) and one reference to excess of volume of exhaust gases (infamous EGR issue)...
but the reason I return to write in this thread, is that he confirmed just as BlackC55 predicted, I have two warn joints on upper front torque arm and rear back control arm...
I´m going to buy TRW ref. JTC970 and JTC968, being these the ones that the Indy told me he was going to order, for the good results he was getting from them, in spite of other brands, he prefers these...
any oppinion on this matter?... anyone?

Last edited:
yesterday go my left upper and lower control arms replaced and today went for a proper alignment... now I have a "personal cloud" to ride on, the soft and sturdy it feels... vibration while braking have disappeared as well... Thanks a lot for the hint BlackC55... you rock! ;)

the arms I bought them from TRW brand and replaced them myself... followed the tutorial from pelicanparts.com and it is sweet the taste of DIY in such a result...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom