Brand new blown engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonathan

Car
CLK 280 CAB
Hi all it's been over two years since my last post but I have a good one for you. Two weeks ago I took delivery of a brand new e 350 cab in white. What a car, Friday afternoon with the sun beating down the wife drove out of the Mercedes garage in it. After around a hundred miles it started making a tapping noise at around 1500 rpm. The wife phoned the garage and they said to bring it back on Tuesday as they couldn't look at it on Monday for us. Tuesday came and the noise was getting worse so the wife took it down to them they called her later to say as it was on the ramp with a guy under it with a stethoscope on the engine it decided to blow a hole in the side of the engine shooting a bolt and a load of oil over the guy. They said it sounded like a bomb going off. Less than two hundred miles and it's gone. They give us three options, replace the engine have your money back or order a new one. We decided to order a new one but ten days or so later still no delivery date infact today was the first time that Mercedes uk have called us just to say they are aware of the situation and that he is going to be off now until Wednesday so will look into it then. Not to chuffed really what would you do if this was you regards Jon.

Serious bummer.

I would go for a new one and push for some kind of courtesy car to keep you going in the meantime. Years ago I had an Audi which was delayed by 3 months, it was built but they kept it in a field in Germany so they could retrofit ESP (backlog was 3 months).

It was only through a forum that I found out Audi were contributing £30 per day for a hire car.

S

I would want the money back, apart from deposit while the new one is on order as well

I take it you have a courtesy car until your new one arrives.

To be fair they have given us the managers e350 cab in black until they can get us a hire car but it's not the same I have 20 inch wheels for it and want to do a few things to it also when the new one turns up it won't feel like a new one it will feel like a replacement it's hard to put your feelings in words.

Forgot to say they still have 10k of ours and they have told us not to cancel the payments.

To be fair they have given us the managers e350 cab in black until they can get us a hire car but it's not the same I have 20 inch wheels for it and want to do a few things to it also when the new one turns up it won't feel like a new one it will feel like a replacement it's hard to put your feelings in words.

It's a bad situation. These things happen.

MB are keeping you mobile in style. They can't undo the damage.

To me I think they are being reasonable.

Not sure about payments - worth having a chat with MB Financial Services I would have thought.

Go for a drive in the managers car to the Bmw showroom,tell them your story and see what deal they could cut you,if nothing else word will get back to MB and things will move like lightning.

What a shame, but what more can they do?

These things happen, I'd be very diasppointed, but if you end up with a new one to the same spec as the old one, and meanwhile drive around in the managers, then I'd be quite satisfied with the outcome.

No offense, by why should it feel like another new car.

You ordered a car, it was built to your specs. It broke. They are building you an exact same one, you end up with the same car that you bought.

Make sure you keep in a decent car, particularly if you are forking out monthly for the use of an E350 cab, and just enjoy the replacement car when it comes, which is the same as you bought, which is what you wanted I assume

Forgot to say they still have 10k of ours and they have told us not to cancel the payments.

Whoaaaa, you need to speak to the finance company pronto - but they are correct, do not cancel payments.

Your problem is you may get a new car in 3 months, which means 33 months after that they will want the final payment if you are on one of those schemes.

So you pay full to have your car for only 33 months.....

S

Well it seems like they're being reasonable enough - sorting out a replacement car which will the same as the one that broke - I don't understand how this can be an issue? You can hardly fault the hire car, they're looking after you quite well.
I'd have asked for a replacement as you did - I wouldn't be keen on having them rip open a brand new car for an engine job - and I really don't understand what's wrong?

Well it seems like they're being reasonable enough - sorting out a replacement car which will the same as the one that broke - I don't understand how this can be an issue? You can hardly fault the hire car, they're looking after you quite well.
I'd have asked for a replacement as you did - I wouldn't be keen on having them rip open a brand new car for an engine job - and I really don't understand what's wrong?

Neither can I.
They've been honest, given you options including cancellation and your money back and you've chosen neither.
Personally I'd be disappointed but pleased with the swift and wholesome corrective action by the dealer.

My local mb dealer has been great it's mb uk that haven't. One phone call to say he's off on holiday. You would think they would build the car as a matter of urgency in the first available slot. After all it takes 36 hours to build the car from new. They build around 350 cars a day I'm told so now 10 days later they have just acknowledge there's a problem my issue is I should be on the list somewhere I don't expect a new car in a few days but I'm not even at the end of the list until he comes back to work nothing is going to happen. Yes I have the same car on loan but the spec is nothing like mine I've paid for it so at least put me on the list. Also I don't know what will happen at the end of the lease if they take three months to get me a new car and I am still paying for it then at the end of the three year term I would have only had it for two years and nine months. I don't know whether I should just take what comes or ask them for money back or additional extras for free.

My local mb dealer has been great it's mb uk that haven't. One phone call to say he's off on holiday. You would think they would build the car as a matter of urgency in the first available slot. After all it takes 36 hours to build the car from new. They build around 350 cars a day I'm told so now 10 days later they have just acknowledge there's a problem my issue is I should be on the list somewhere I don't expect a new car in a few days but I'm not even at the end of the list until he comes back to work nothing is going to happen. Yes I have the same car on loan but the spec is nothing like mine I've paid for it so at least put me on the list. Also I don't know what will happen at the end of the lease if they take three months to get me a new car and I am still paying for it then at the end of the three year term I would have only had it for two years and nine months. I don't know whether I should just take what comes or ask them for money back or additional extras for free.

Would you have preferred no phone call? I''d be guessing that a build slot may be difficult to find instantly in any case. I would guess that there first option would be to look around the network for any stock that may be suitable.

Unfortunately holidays at this time of year are a part of life. A bit surprised that it can't be passed to colleague though. I'm sure the managers keen to get something sorted too.

People get a bit funny about brand new cars, but whats wrong if they shove a brand new engine in FOC.

Its an extremely rare case, the next engine would be fine and the OP in a working car of theirs much sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom